Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2017, 01:17:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2017, 12:08:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2017, 03:16:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2017, 04:51:30 PM
Dynasty has a reboot? But why?
I was going to ask if anyone here had seen it :P

I've now seen half and verdict is that it feels like a sanitized version - though I guess the original wasn't fun to start either.  Also, it is full of unexciting character actors like the guy from Revenge and a lame gay boyfriend from Empire.
So, exactly like the original, plus a gay character.  I predict wonderful ratings in Quebec once it's translated. :P

Didn't the original have a gay character?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2017, 01:23:12 PM
I've never seen the original, except a clip where a wedding got shot up.
We did not have cable when I was young, so there were 3 channels, one of wich was more educationnal oriented.  That left Dynasty on one channel, Dallas on the other.  My parents quite liked these shows and I was watching a bit with them.  I think there was a Dynasty spinoff too at some point.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2017, 01:27:55 PM

I've now seen half and verdict is that it feels like a sanitized version - though I guess the original wasn't fun to start either.  Also, it is full of unexciting character actors like the guy from Revenge and a lame gay boyfriend from Empire.
So, exactly like the original, plus a gay character.  I predict wonderful ratings in Quebec once it's translated. :P

We should ask Garbon, he'll remember any openly gay dude in any tv show of the last 50 years. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2017, 01:31:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2017, 01:27:55 PM

We should ask Garbon, he'll remember any openly gay dude in any tv show of the last 50 years. ;)

Yes, the son was gay. However, he was also sort of bisexual and had a kid. In this version, he's fully out from minute 1.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
I was giving some thought to seeing Bladerunner, but the comments here, the poor box office, and fear of preserving my heterosexuality have changed my mind.
That's a shame, it really is a visual feast meant to be seen on as big a screen as possible.

Savonarola

I listened to a podcast with an interview of movie composer Trevor Jones.  It's a nerd podcast, so they focused on his two most nerdly films; The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (his best known score is probably the 1992 version of Last of the Mohicans.)  One of his best anecdotes was:  He was frustrated with his work on a film score one evening and his wife called down to his studio and asked him if he would want to score a movie called "A Fish Called Wanda."  He shouted back, "Would you want to score something called 'A Fish Called Wanda'?"  Later in the evening he came up and asked "What's this about 'A Fish Called Wanda'?" and his wife said, "Well that was John Cleese..."  So he lost that to John Du Prez.

Another was when he was touring with Jim Henson to promote "The Dark Crystal."  They were at the airport deciding what to do next.  He threw out the idea of doing something more like The Muppet Show with a rock star and a bunch of puppets.  The first rock star he suggested was Mick Jagger.  (Although, thinking it over, Keith would have made a credible Goblin King.  He wouldn't have needed a wig or make-up.)  Fortunately they came up with David Bowie a few seconds later.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Was browsing Amazon Prime and came across something from 1954. "Atomic Attack"

it was awful. Should have strangled the youngest daughter. Choke that annoying cunt out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2017, 07:44:42 PM
Should have strangled the youngest daughter. Choke that annoying cunt out.

Well, I guess if the wife is OK with it...

CountDeMoney

You guys should watch Maria Bamford's Lady Dynamite on Netflix.  She really is hilarious.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2017, 10:51:57 PM
You guys should watch Maria Bamford's Lady Dynamite on Netflix.  She really is hilarious.

I watched it when it came out. Some of it is funny, some of it is just sad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Seedy probably just has a big celeb crush on her.  :P

Liep

Alien Covenant

What a turd of a movie.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Book of Henry- Randomly watched this film with no idea what it was about....and boy its all over the place.
Saw Sarah Silverman's name in the credits. So comedy?
Cliched smart kid doing cliched smart kids things. OK... So kids comedy?
Oh. The pretty girl next door seems to be getting....raped? By her step father. Its about a kid trying to solve the mystery.
Oh no. He has gone to hospital. He has some brain trouble. So it'll be something dramatic about him adapting with his loss of intelligence?
He's writing... and then there's the name of the film...there'll be something amazing and world changing in this book he leaves behind when he dies?....
Oh no. He died. 12 year old kid dying of cancer. So its going to be a big melodrama about his family coming to terms.
Oh no. He left behind instructions for his mother to assassinate the step dad and save the girl. So forget the dead kid, its some...weird...kooky...dark...comedy?
No.....
err....
Yeah.
No idea what this film is.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on October 13, 2017, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
I was giving some thought to seeing Bladerunner, but the comments here, the poor box office, and fear of preserving my heterosexuality have changed my mind.
That's a shame, it really is a visual feast meant to be seen on as big a screen as possible.

Just back. 

Still digesting.  Might be great or good or not, not sure.  Definitely very ambitious.  Soundtrack really needs to take some doggy downers.  It's exhausting to sit through. 

The philosophical rumination on the nature of alienation and wanting to be loved and the super hottie love interest are the indisputable strong points.  I teared up at quite a few scenes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2017, 01:20:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2017, 10:51:57 PM

I watched it when it came out. Some of it is funny, some of it is just sad.

That's the whole point, that's what makes it great.