News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 10:23:56 AM
Not being American, and being from a small town, all these talks of racial diversity sound weird to me.
What is the importance of having a black/asian/female character for the sake of it?

It's not uniquely American - Quebec shows are also highly problematic in this regard.

To Sav's brief answer, I'll only add this:

Fiction shapes powerfully the collective imagination. If certain characters, certain archetypes are always portrayed as white, and others as, say, others (white princesses, black thugs, latina maids, etc.), the range of expectations of what a "proper" X (proper princess, proper thug, proper doctor, proper rich guy) looks like narrows considerably. It's is true for works of fiction (i.e., only hire black actors when you want to portray thugs), but it also has an impact in society at large (e.g. my friend being denied actually helping a man suffering from a stroke on an airplane because she was *gasp* an African-American physician: the flight attendant couldn't actually register the fact that such a person may exist). It's not the only factor, to be sure.

You can see it even among little kids: my nephews were ecstatic that a "proper" superhero, at last, was black - Black Panther (they don't care much for Green Lantern). And there has been studies showing (alongside some experience I can corroborate) that little girls deem black girls dressing up as princesses as "incorrect" - because all of their models were white princesses. 

Think of it this way: you complain (rightly) that so many Quebec TV shows are centered around Montreal, and that no show seem to take place in a region you may recognize as yours. It sends a message: your stories are not important / not interesting enough to be shown. And if, in TV shows, people from the Bas-du-Fleuve were *always* shown as the typically retarded rural cousin, you may think that, at some point, it would be nice if they showed rural tech savy entrepreneurs in a positive, serious light as opposed to constant comic relief or as a foil for the sophisticated Montrealer. Now, even in those shows centered in Montreal, we are light years away from having 30% of the characters being "non-white", yet, that is the proportion of Montrealers who self-identify as "visible minority". (I am aware the analogy is not perfect).
Que le grand cric me croque !

katmai

Quote from: Savonarola on December 09, 2016, 01:35:08 PM

In the Captain America movie the Captain fights with an integrated unit, something the United States didn't have until 1948. (Although, once again, it is in a movie with flying cars in 1942.) I think it would be a disservice to have an ahistoric racial make up in a period piece.

It did?

Or do you mean the brief attempt in beginning of film?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 09, 2016, 05:04:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 10:23:56 AM
Not being American, and being from a small town, all these talks of racial diversity sound weird to me.
What is the importance of having a black/asian/female character for the sake of it?

It's not uniquely American - Quebec shows are also highly problematic in this regard.

To Sav's brief answer, I'll only add this:

Fiction shapes powerfully the collective imagination. If certain characters, certain archetypes are always portrayed as white, and others as, say, others (white princesses, black thugs, latina maids, etc.), the range of expectations of what a "proper" X (proper princess, proper thug, proper doctor, proper rich guy) looks like narrows considerably. It's is true for works of fiction (i.e., only hire black actors when you want to portray thugs), but it also has an impact in society at large (e.g. my friend being denied actually helping a man suffering from a stroke on an airplane because she was *gasp* an African-American physician: the flight attendant couldn't actually register the fact that such a person may exist). It's not the only factor, to be sure.

You can see it even among little kids: my nephews were ecstatic that a "proper" superhero, at last, was black - Black Panther (they don't care much for Green Lantern). And there has been studies showing (alongside some experience I can corroborate) that little girls deem black girls dressing up as princesses as "incorrect" - because all of their models were white princesses. 

Think of it this way: you complain (rightly) that so many Quebec TV shows are centered around Montreal, and that no show seem to take place in a region you may recognize as yours. It sends a message: your stories are not important / not interesting enough to be shown. And if, in TV shows, people from the Bas-du-Fleuve were *always* shown as the typically retarded rural cousin, you may think that, at some point, it would be nice if they showed rural tech savy entrepreneurs in a positive, serious light as opposed to constant comic relief or as a foil for the sophisticated Montrealer. Now, even in those shows centered in Montreal, we are light years away from having 30% of the characters being "non-white", yet, that is the proportion of Montrealers who self-identify as "visible minority". (I am aware the analogy is not perfect).

I do get that.  I am supportive of attempts to increase diversity on tv and movies.

The issue can be when you're rooting stories in past historical realities.  You can't just drop a black princess into a period drama set in 18th century France - there was no such thing!  Or at least if there was, their uniqueness demands some kind of explanation.  The only example of which I can think of was the very generally dull Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  When they decided to add Morgan Freeman, they at least took the steps to explain what a black Moorish character was doing in medieval England.

Now the setting in Thor is, on the one hand, based on norse mythology so it does make some sense to have norse-looking actors in those roles.

On the other hand it has any number of ways it diverges from the original mythology, so who cares what else they do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2016, 05:16:02 PM
On the other hand it has any number of ways it diverges from the original mythology, so who cares what else they do.

That, to me is the core. At its base, movie-making is make-belief. You are not watching an actual 16th century princess being wooed by a dashing prince in a deliberately vague early-modern France - you are watching Drew Barrymore speak English to a Welshman dressed in silly clothes, somewhere on a studio set in California. The amount of movies that pretend to scrupulous historical accuracy is microscopic, and in those which pretend to be rooted in history, there are myriads of compromise being made about which kind of accuracy is important (usually superficial things), and which kind is not. Obviously, in a historical movie where race plays a fundamental part (12 Years A Slave, Indigènes, etc.) it makes sense to pay a lot of attention to it. Otherwise, the convention (and the studio requirements) is to pay a lot of attention to race casting, so, a "historical" movie that would cast Winston Churchill as a black man would probably appear weird, yet no one bats an eye at everyone speaking 21th century English in an 18th century French village of signing peasants off to kill a humanoid monster who lives with talking furniture.  Theatre/Musicals have done better in that regard.
There were similarly no black people in medieval Elsinore and I am almost sure Victor Hugo did not imagine Cosette as black - but the soul of Hamlet, or Cosette, or any other character, goes well beyond their bodies.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Let's not forget that Thor had its token ethnic actors: Idris Elba as Heimdall and Tadanobu Asano as Hogun of the Warriors Three. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 09, 2016, 06:04:27 PM

That, to me is the core. At its base, movie-making is make-belief. You are not watching an actual 16th century princess being wooed by a dashing prince in a deliberately vague early-modern France - you are watching Drew Barrymore speak English to a Welshman dressed in silly clothes, somewhere on a studio set in California. The amount of movies that pretend to scrupulous historical accuracy is microscopic, and in those which pretend to be rooted in history, there are myriads of compromise being made about which kind of accuracy is important (usually superficial things), and which kind is not. Obviously, in a historical movie where race plays a fundamental part (12 Years A Slave, Indigènes, etc.) it makes sense to pay a lot of attention to it. Otherwise, the convention (and the studio requirements) is to pay a lot of attention to race casting, so, a "historical" movie that would cast Winston Churchill as a black man would probably appear weird, yet no one bats an eye at everyone speaking 21th century English in an 18th century French village of signing peasants off to kill a humanoid monster who lives with talking furniture.  Theatre/Musicals have done better in that regard.
There were similarly no black people in medieval Elsinore and I am almost sure Victor Hugo did not imagine Cosette as black - but the soul of Hamlet, or Cosette, or any other character, goes well beyond their bodies.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 09, 2016, 06:04:27 PM

Excellent post.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Mannerheim was black in a Finnish TV production some years back. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Brain on December 10, 2016, 12:48:50 PM
Mannerheim was black in a Finnish TV production some years back. :)

this is actually what came to mind reading the last few posts. :D

I'm not sure how I feel about being OK tossing in a different colored actor to play a role in a fantasy/mythology/whatever flick (where the actor's color isn't explained in-universe) yet at the same time not being OK with doing the same with historical flicks. it seems a bit inconsistent.

Syt

There was also an all-black African production of Julius Caesar. The plot worked surprisingly well when transposed to an African dictatorship.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Shakespeare productions are less problematic because no one actually believes they're literally true. Not everyone spoke like a total fucking fag back then.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Trailers

Baywatch: Surprisingly it doesn't look as bad as expected.
The Mummy: Lacks Brendan Fraser. And John Hannah.
Assasin's Creed: A game that played like a movie turned into a movie that can't be played.
Spider-Man: Homecoming: A promising Spidey, too much Downey.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Brendan Fraser is too fat now to play that role.

Liep

Transformers: The Last Knight:  I don't even. It has Anthony Hopkins, John Goodman, Stanley Tucci and John Turturro according to imdb but no. And the female lead seems to be too young for even Michael Bay to explain how she could be the love interest of Mark Wahlberg.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk