News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2016, 10:20:04 AM
Think harder, garbon. 

No, thanks. I'll put my energy to reading and correcting this market research report. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I have signed up to HBO Spain, just to watch Westworld. I blame Berkut.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2016, 12:48:14 PM

You will soon transition that blame to thanks. I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2016, 12:51:52 PM

Oh, I'm sure of that. You've got cred when it comes to this stuff.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

Oh, I'm sure of that. You've got cred

:blush:
:yeah:

when it comes to this stuff.

:huh:
:mad:
:berkut:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

Oh, I'm sure of that. You've got cred when it comes to this stuff.

And if it sucks, there's still Game of Thrones.

I'm really reticent to watch Westworld.  Serial TV can be great, but it is so annoying.  It's like a twenty hour movie where the ending isn't finished yet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928)

The last of Buster Keaton's great movies.  He would move to MGM after this one, where he repeatedly clashed with the studio, fell to obscurity and end up as one of the "Waxworks" in "Sunset Boulevard."  This one was a financial disappointment when released.  I heard a critic trying to make the case for Harry Langdon's notorious bomb "Three's a Crowd" that audience had grown tired of silent comedies by this point.  Harold Lloyd's "Speedy," Chaplin's "The Circus" and all three of Langdon's films were all released in 1927/1928 and were all commercial disappointments.  ("Three's a Crowd" is still awful.)

"Steamboat Bill Jr." isn't as good as "The General" or "Sherlock Jr.," but is well worth seeing especially for the final gag sequence in the windstorm.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

The last couple of episodes of Star Wars Rebels have been pretty meh. The latest was a little bit better again, and it had a sweet re-introduction from the old expanded universe back to canon this time.

Quote"Looks like some kind of new TIE Interceptor, but this one has shields."

:w00t:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on December 07, 2016, 03:58:37 PM
Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928)

The last of Buster Keaton's great movies.  He would move to MGM after this one, where he repeatedly clashed with the studio, fell to obscurity and end up as one of the "Waxworks" in "Sunset Boulevard."  This one was a financial disappointment when released.  I heard a critic trying to make the case for Harry Langdon's notorious bomb "Three's a Crowd" that audience had grown tired of silent comedies by this point.  Harold Lloyd's "Speedy," Chaplin's "The Circus" and all three of Langdon's films were all released in 1927/1928 and were all commercial disappointments.  ("Three's a Crowd" is still awful.)

"Steamboat Bill Jr." isn't as good as "The General" or "Sherlock Jr.," but is well worth seeing especially for the final gag sequence in the windstorm.

Yeah, the lead-up is a bit stiff, but it's a great ending.  (And it's like 60 minutes, which makes it pretty easy to digest.)  I think I might like it better than Sherlock Jr., but it's been ages since I saw Sherlock Jr.  (It is obviously not better than The General.)

You reminded me, I need to watch Speedy while Criterion flicks are still on Hulu.  I'm a big fan, as you know, of Safety Last! and The Freshman, along with the Lloyd shorts I've seen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on December 06, 2016, 11:07:25 AM
Thor (2011)

The greatest white supremacist film since "Birth of a Nation".  :w00t:

;)

This is your best post-1930 film review in a long while.
Btw, does it mean you don't consider Jud Süß as a white supremacist movie? Just anti-semitic is not enough for you? :P No question about Birth of a Nation being a major milestone. ;)

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2016, 03:23:24 AM
The last couple of episodes of Star Wars Rebels have been pretty meh. The latest was a little bit better again, and it had a sweet re-introduction from the old expanded universe back to canon this time.

Quote"Looks like some kind of new TIE Interceptor, but this one has shields."

:w00t:
any episode where Thrawn is featured is great. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

As above so below -meh. I wanted upside down world
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

White Christmas (1954)

First time I've ever seen this on the big screen; the dance numbers really come across better in that format.  That's a substantial amount of the film and certainly helps Vera Ellen; acting wasn't her strength. 

I read that they changed the line in Gee I Wish I was Back in the Army because it references Bing Crosby. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2016, 03:27:18 AM
Yeah, the lead-up is a bit stiff, but it's a great ending.  (And it's like 60 minutes, which makes it pretty easy to digest.)  I think I might like it better than Sherlock Jr., but it's been ages since I saw Sherlock Jr.  (It is obviously not better than The General.)

You reminded me, I need to watch Speedy while Criterion flicks are still on Hulu.  I'm a big fan, as you know, of Safety Last! and The Freshman, along with the Lloyd shorts I've seen.

Have you ever seen his sound films?  They were box office bombs at the time (largely because the "Glasses" character didn't translate well into Depression era America) but, with the exception of "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" they are pretty good.