Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 08, 2016, 06:36:42 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 06, 2016, 11:07:25 AM
Thor (2011)

The greatest white supremacist film since "Birth of a Nation".  :w00t:

;)

This is your best post-1930 film review in a long while.
Btw, does it mean you don't consider Jud Süß as a white supremacist movie? Just anti-semitic is not enough for you? :P No question about Birth of a Nation being a major milestone. ;)

I was going to write Jud Süß; but, this being Languish, I thought someone would immediately point out the Natalie Portman is Jewish.

Anyhow, after seeing "White Christmas" I think that maybe "Thor" is an example of how racially progressive Hollywood has become in the past 60 years.  Sure, there's only one token African-Asgardian and he has to stay in the gatehouse, but that's positively integrated as compared to Vermont.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2016, 03:31:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2016, 03:27:18 AM
Yeah, the lead-up is a bit stiff, but it's a great ending.  (And it's like 60 minutes, which makes it pretty easy to digest.)  I think I might like it better than Sherlock Jr., but it's been ages since I saw Sherlock Jr.  (It is obviously not better than The General.)

You reminded me, I need to watch Speedy while Criterion flicks are still on Hulu.  I'm a big fan, as you know, of Safety Last! and The Freshman, along with the Lloyd shorts I've seen.

Have you ever seen his sound films?  They were box office bombs at the time (largely because the "Glasses" character didn't translate well into Depression era America) but, with the exception of "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" they are pretty good.

Nope.  Gotta catch up on the silents first.

Also, I love the hell out Thor.  Am I: racist?  I mean, obviously I'm not as racist as The Spice.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2016, 03:35:48 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 08, 2016, 06:36:42 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 06, 2016, 11:07:25 AM
Thor (2011)

The greatest white supremacist film since "Birth of a Nation".  :w00t:

;)

This is your best post-1930 film review in a long while.
Btw, does it mean you don't consider Jud Süß as a white supremacist movie? Just anti-semitic is not enough for you? :P No question about Birth of a Nation being a major milestone. ;)

I was going to write Jud Süß; but, this being Languish, I thought someone would immediately point out the Natalie Portman is Jewish.

Anyhow, after seeing "White Christmas" I think that maybe "Thor" is an example of how racially progressive Hollywood has become in the past 60 years.  Sure, there's only one token African-Asgardian and he has to stay in the gatehouse, but that's positively integrated as compared to Vermont.

Allright, I will bite.

Not being American, and being from a small town, all these talks of racial diversity sound weird to me.

What is the importance of having a black/asian/female character for the sake of it?
How does the lack of a supportive black/asian character makes a movie white supremacist, even as a joke?

I just don't get this importance of having minorities represented for the sake of having a representation.  Should a biopic movie about Abraham Lincoln represent a black general as top advisor to the President?  Should Gettysburg have had a black regiment fighting for the South?  Should Star Trek recast Kirk as a black female?

I don't get it at all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Well it would make sense in Star Trek. They are supposed to have complete equality and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 10:23:56 AM
What is the importance of having a female character for the sake of it?

I don't get it at all.

Ok, Marty.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

The funniest part about this movie is going to IMDB and reading the "Anachronism" section in the goofs.  Nazis with laser tanks and jet powered cars are A-OK, but a record that can hold the complete "Ride of the Valkyrie"?  PREPOSTEROUS!

While Iron Man remains my favorite of the Marvel films I've seen thus far; this one is a close second.  This one owes a great deal to serials and movies inspired by serials, like "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones."  (In fact there was a "Captain America" serial in the 40s.)  Fun, fast paced and episodic; all this is missing was a few cliff-hangers.

I read Hayley Atwell's reaction to Chris Evans coming out of the machine was unscripted.  (I really need to hit the gym.)  Fortunately her acting throughout the rest of the film was more subdued than Natalie Portman's in Thor.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Allright, I will bite.

Not being American, and being from a small town, all these talks of racial diversity sound weird to me.

Understandably; this, I think is a uniquely American issue, given our history.  The language politics that you Canadians go on and on about is equally alien to us.

QuoteWhat is the importance of having a black/asian/female character for the sake of it?

I think there's a number of different ways to answer this:  Provide opportunities to minority actors; present the audience with possibly a broader perspective; present the audience with a more ideal society that we should aspire towards; Hollywood in the past presented an incredibly prejudiced view of blacks that, maybe, they should try to make up for.  Other people will have different answers.

QuoteHow does the lack of a supportive black/asian character makes a movie white supremacist, even as a joke?

In addition to lack of minorities; Thor is also a 9 foot tall aryan; plus the Fritz Lang films Siegfried and Kriemhilds Rache (also based on Norse mythology) were favorites of the Nazis.  Though really it was just a joke.

QuoteI just don't get this importance of having minorities represented for the sake of having a representation.  Should a biopic movie about Abraham Lincoln represent a black general as top advisor to the President?  Should Gettysburg have had a black regiment fighting for the South?  Should Star Trek recast Kirk as a black female?

I don't get it at all.

In the Captain America movie the Captain fights with an integrated unit, something the United States didn't have until 1948.  (Although, once again, it is in a movie with flying cars in 1942.)  I think it would be a disservice to have an ahistoric racial make up in a period piece.

celedhring

Got to ep 4 of Westworld. Very good, very intriguing, some great ideas in it. My only "but" is that the show is a bit cold and distant, more cerebral than emotional. I like a good mix of both.

Habbaku

The emotional comes later.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

Black Mirror season 1. Woah.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 09, 2016, 11:00:38 AM
What is the importance of having a female character for the sake of it?

I don't get it at all.

Ok, Marty.  :P
I like to see strong women in tv shows and tv series.  I loved the character of Starbuck.  I loved Xena.  I have a lot of appreciation of Joss Whedon shows&movies.

But casting a women for the sake of having a woman?  Still don't get it.  Thor is a white man in the comic books (those I remember, at least :P), so why should he be casted as black female?  Mind you, the movie could have used a lot more of Lady Sif, but it's called "Thor", not "Sif". ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on December 09, 2016, 04:11:30 PM
Black Mirror season 1. Woah.
Everyone here seems to rave about it.
Is it that good?
What is it about?

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 04:43:20 PM
Thor is a white man in the comic books (those I remember, at least :P)

Well, you're in for a surprise if you buy Thor comic books again, then  :P

My answer to your question is simple: why not? I have seen so many stories with white men, that I find exploring new angles and sensibilities more interesting and engrossing, as a viewer.