TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2016, 06:52:21 AM
(Attractive) men age better.

Serious movies are not staffed by young actors.

Stupid comedy, you get a 20something Ryan Gosling
Serious movie like Her, no one under 35!

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I recall John Wayne actually felt rather uncomfortable while filming Rio Bravo because his love interest, Angie Dickinson was so much younger than him (he was born in 1907, she in 1931, making for a 24 year gap; he was 52 at the time, she was 28).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2016, 08:44:51 AM
I recall John Wayne actually felt rather uncomfortable while filming Rio Bravo because his love interest, Angie Dickinson was so much younger than him (he was born in 1907, she in 1931, making for a 24 year gap; he was 52 at the time, she was 28).

What a homo. Sad!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2016, 08:46:45 AM

What a homo. Sad!

Well his real name was Marion :whistle:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Best example of this though was making Ronald Reagan the love interest for ... Shirley Temple. In a movie filled with squicky stuff.  :lol:

The plot: the girl played by Temple is supposed to be the illegitimate daughter of the guy played by Reagan. Turns out she isn't, so the Reagan character is now free to express that incestuous passion he'd been feeling! Yay! They run off together! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Hagen_Girl

Filmed in 1947, so Reagan was 36 and Temple was 19.

Age gap only 17 years, but the context!

Internet commentary:

QuoteAlmost all prints of the film mysteriously disappeared from various film storage facilities and television stations as Ronald Reagan was becoming a prominent political figure.

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

If you want squick age gap, consider the early Traci Lords movies in which she was 15 (she had a fake driver's license saying that she was 18).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

In the least shocking news of the day, Disney's CEO has just confirmed they will keep pumping Star Wars movies after they finish the current saga+3 standalones in 2020.

The cow must be milked.

CountDeMoney

Could be worse.  Could be George Lucas trying milk a bull.

Habbaku

At least they are movies in an IP I'm interested in...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2016, 09:08:24 AM
If you want squick age gap, consider the early Traci Lords movies in which she was 15 (she had a fake driver's license saying that she was 18).

Well, yeah, but I still think That Hagen Girl is funnier.

I mean, Shirley Temple - known for her tapdancing cute kiddie roles - playing an incestuous love interest for Ronald freaking Reagan, future US President? You couldn't make that shit up.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on September 21, 2016, 12:55:35 PM
At least they are movies in an IP I'm interested in...

I think that Disney is up to the challenge of making us sick of Star Wars.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2016, 12:56:32 PM
You couldn't make that shit up.  :lol:

Well presumably someone could. It was a movie, no? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2016, 12:52:05 PM
In the least shocking news of the day, Disney's CEO has just confirmed they will keep pumping Star Wars movies after they finish the current saga+3 standalones in 2020.

The cow must be milked.

Hey, they're in part based on the old movie serials.  Those never ended either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2016, 12:58:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2016, 12:56:32 PM
You couldn't make that shit up.  :lol:

Well presumably someone could. It was a movie, no? :unsure:

Feeling awfully literal today?  :hmm: