News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I thought it was quite the achievement that such a short movie still managed to feel so relentlessly repetitive. But then again, 90% of disaster movies feel that way to me: 1) Something goes horribly wrong 2) Protagonist miraculously beats odds to save his/her life  3) Goto 1. I need some interesting drama intertwined with the whole jumping through hoops on fire to retain my attention, Gravity didn't have any.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 10:45:12 AM
I thought it was quite the achievement that such a short movie still managed to feel so relentlessly repetitive. But then again, 90% of disaster movies feel that way to me: 1) Something goes horribly wrong 2) Protagonist miraculously beats odds to save his/her life  3) Goto 1. I need some interesting drama intertwined with the whole jumping through hoops on fire to retain my attention, Gravity didn't have any.

Heh, I was amazed that at the end, when the capsule fell to Earth into water, and she was struggling to get out, she wasn't chased to shore by a big shark (only to find a bunch of ISIS-like terrorists waiting for her).  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Gravity felt to me like technically virtuoso, visually stunning extended short more than a film.

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 12:05:37 PM
The Revenant: A-

Agreed. I saw this recently and was pleasantly surprised that it was a pretty good movie.

celedhring

Beasts of No Nation. A tale of a boy in a generic war-torn West African country that is recruited into a battalion of child soldiers, wishing to avenge his murdered family.

"Africa is fucked" has become a bit of a staple Oscar-bait genre as of late, but this is one of the best ones imho. Compelling and really, really dark - at the end of it all, you're watching the story unfold through the eyes of a child that becomes a war criminal. Idris Elba is just fantastic as the unit commander, and so is the kid protagonist (and I usually don't care much for hyped up child actors, but this one really is that good). Fukunaga's direction is also pretty good, and makes the most of a shoestring budget.

A real pity that industry politics shut it out from the Oscars, because it deserved some attention, imho.

Admiral Yi

Perhaps not an appropriate director to bring up in Compton or Southside Chicago.  :sleep:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2016, 04:17:23 PM
Perhaps not an appropriate director to bring up in Compton or Southside Chicago.  :sleep:

That joke will need some splainin'  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 04:19:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2016, 04:17:23 PM

That joke will need some splainin'  :hmm:

Fuck You Niggas

A stretch, but not that much.  I just need to buy one vowel.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 04:15:10 PM
Beasts of No Nation. A tale of a boy in a generic war-torn West African country that is recruited into a battalion of child soldiers, wishing to avenge his murdered family.

"Africa is fucked" has become a bit of a staple Oscar-bait genre as of late, but this is one of the best ones imho. Compelling and really, really dark - at the end of it all, you're watching the story unfold through the eyes of a child that becomes a war criminal. Idris Elba is just fantastic as the unit commander, and so is the kid protagonist (and I usually don't care much for hyped up child actors, but this one really is that good). Fukunaga's direction is also pretty good, and makes the most of a shoestring budget.

A real pity that industry politics shut it out from the Oscars, because it deserved some attention, imho.
It is an exceptional movie and at times hard to watch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I would be more psyched if it was on cable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Hollywood's creepy age gap phenomenon  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

HVC

(Attractive) men age better.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.