And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 01:48:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 12:28:59 PM[spoiler]So on a computer in the prison?[/spoiler]

Yes. [spoiler] Which makes sense, The whole time I was wondering why he HAD to use Black Guys' computer--why he couldn't just get a lap top or use his house one or whatever. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well actually they covered that. He was refusing to let himself use a computer 1) because of Mr. Robot and 2) he feared what would happen as he inevitably went down his path of snooping and getting people caught by police. None of it was very credible but that was also the case as we knew Christian Slater was still part of the cast. :D[/spoiler]

Yes I understand that. [Spoiler] But in the end he did make the decision to use a computer. So when he did ...why did he need to rely on the black guy. That's what I didn't understand, and wasn't made clear. [/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Been watching Stan Lee's Lucky Man. I've enjoyed it so far
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Harry and Tonto. About life of Katmai in 30 years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Saw the first episode of River. The GF didn't dig it ("too depressing and weird") but I personally loved it. Will watch the rest of the series when she isn't around and give a more thorough opinion.

We got hooked to The Killing though, we binged half of the first season. Very entertaining. They abuse the "drop big revelation before the end of each episode" trick thoroughly, and the writers love their red herrings, but I must admit it works really well to keep you hooked, and the characters are compelling.   

garbon

I watched about half an hour of Mad Max last night as Amazon told me it is taking all of the original series out of their content in September. I turned it off at 30 minutes because I had yet to see anything enjoyable. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2016, 09:16:42 AM
I watched about half an hour of Mad Max last night as Amazon told me it is taking all of the original series out of their content in September. I turned it off at 30 minutes because I had yet to see anything enjoyable. -_-

It is a pretty dated movie, and honestly, I never really saw the uberfanboi attraction to it.
Half the enjoyment is in constantly repeating, "Holy shit, I never knew Mel Gibson was ever that young." The other half is Ford export musclecars from the early '70s.  In your case, I suppose the best you'd ever hit is 50%, tops.  :D

celedhring

Yeah Mad Max 1 ain't that great. It's the kind of film that made a lot of noise because it broke new ground at the time, but nowadays it feels not kinda here or there. Road Warrior is a much more assured film, and the mythos is much more realized in it - plus it's devilishly entertaining.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2016, 09:23:32 AM

It is a pretty dated movie, and honestly, I never really saw the uberfanboi attraction to it.
Half the enjoyment is in constantly repeating, "Holy shit, I never knew Mel Gibson was ever that young." The other half is Ford export musclecars from the early '70s.  In your case, I suppose the best you'd ever hit is 50%, tops.  :D

Yes, I did hit the omg, is that really Gibson? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2016, 09:29:37 AM
Yeah Mad Max 1 ain't that great. It's the kind of film that made a lot of noise because it broke new ground at the time, but nowadays it feels not kinda here or there. Road Warrior is a much more assured film, and the mythos is much more realized in it - plus it's devilishly entertaining.

I actually kind of like the world-building of the first film better, with it's blend of post-apocalyptic and "normal" elements, whereas the second film is simply post-apocalyptic.  But the first film is admittedly much slower paced, and not as "action-y" as the second.

garbon

Maybe the world building comes later? In first 30 minutes, you have a fast driving criminal duo, a police headquarters that looks like it is staffed by vigilantes and a crazed motorcycle gang that likes to rape (though at the time that the will be raped couple is running into their car, it wasn't even clear that the gang had spotted them).

CountDeMoney

Yeah, the back story in Mad Max is waaaaaaay back there, hinted and teased obscure, glancing references.  You get more of the "Why Are We Here?" in The Road Warrior.

Razgovory

I've never watched it.  For some reason I got the impression that the second one was essentially a remake with budget and I could just skip number 1.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2016, 03:07:04 PM
For some reason I got the impression that the second one was essentially a remake with budget and I could just skip number 1.

That's the wrong impression, but yeah, you could skip it.

celedhring

You could say Mad Max 1 is important to set up the character for the following movies, but [spoiler]"is unable to save wife and kid, becomes a shell of a man that drifts aimlessly"[/spoiler] is hardly Bergman.

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind this morning, and came to the sad realization that a movie with that kind of pacing and build-up will never be made again.