And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

THE BREAKFAST CLUB IS ON! :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2016, 04:29:42 PM
I'm starting my 2nd episode of Stranger Things. First one didn't do much for me.

Took a bit to get started but feels like it has sort of taken off in [spoiler]ep 5.[/spoiler]

On the whole though, not sure what all the fuss was about. While enjoyable, seems mostly like any other horror story, in a small town that we've encountered before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

I felt the same. It wasn't bad, but didn't feel like anything special. Maybe if I had better memory of the movies it through back to I might have enjoyed it more.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Barrister

So somehow Mrs B got free tickets to an advance screening of the remake of Ben Hur. :mellow:

Oddly enough, neither Mrs B or I have ever seen the original, though I at least was vaguely familiar with it.  Mrs B, on the other hand, was quite surprised when Jesus showed up in the film.

All in all, it was a good movie, and I enjoyed it.  The chariot race scene was quite thrilling, as was the sea battle.  Lots of CGI going on, obviously.

My only thought though was I'm not quite sure what the audience is for a remake of Ben Hur nearly 60 years later.  I think being released in late August, with almost no advertising that I've seen, is kind of telling.

Oh - and seeing an advance screening is the way to see a movie - get in for free, no ads, no trailers - just right into the movie. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Most of the time trailers are the best part of the experience though  :hmm:

But yeah, some theatres go nuts with the ads. When I was in the US sometimes ads+trailers took up to 45 minutes in some theatres, which was completely ridiculous.

celedhring

John Turturro shooting a Jesús Quintana spinoff  :w00t:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/17/jesus-returns-in-going-places-a-spin-off-to-the-big-lebowski

No Coens involved so it's probably going to be shit. But hey.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2016, 03:43:05 AM

:huh:

You know you can do that for free with your computer and an internet connection, right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

It was supposed to be a smartass comment about how trailers most of the time look better than the movies themselves.

I guess it wasn't smart enough.  :(

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2016, 04:19:32 AM
It was supposed to be a smartass comment about how trailers most of the time look better than the movies themselves.

I guess it wasn't smart enough.  :(

It sounded like you go to the wrong movies. :console:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2016, 03:43:05 AM
Sort of agree. I love the trailers. Ben Hur trailer was on before Star Trek here :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2016, 11:13:03 PM
So somehow Mrs B got free tickets to an advance screening of the remake of Ben Hur. :mellow:

Oddly enough, neither Mrs B or I have ever seen the original, though I at least was vaguely familiar with it.  Mrs B, on the other hand, was quite surprised when Jesus showed up in the film.

Spoiler alert  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011