News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2024, 05:20:31 PMWithout wanting to get too much into spoilers, it was the way they made Paul embrace the prophecy and the following heel turn that I found unsatisfying.

We are talking about the third adaptation of a book from the 1960s  :lol:

But fine.

I get what you are saying and I agree. I don't think they fully hit the landing in getting Paul to accept what he had to do. But vive le film quand-même.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2024, 05:20:31 PMWithout wanting to get too much into spoilers, it was the way they made Paul embrace the prophecy and the following heel turn that I found unsatisfying.

This. And if that process had been done better, there would have been no need to alter Chani's storyline so much.

FunkMonk

Maybe I was just too taken by the movie as I was watching it but I didn't feel Paul's turn was rushed or unsatisfying. I'll have to watch the movie again.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2024, 08:07:00 PM

We are talking about the third adaptation of a book from the 1960s  :lol:

But fine.

I get what you are saying and I agree. I don't think they fully hit the landing in getting Paul to accept what he had to do. But vive le film quand-même.

Don't take me wrong. The movie is a triumph - this story could have easily been such a trainwreck when taken to the screen (see the Lynch version of it) and here it just works and at points it's mesmerizing. But it still has some issues.

I hope it makes bucketloads of money to drown the Warner CEO with. We need more movies like this, big productions that are ambitious and with big ideas - even if they aren't perfect - rather than the 100000th cape shit.

FunkMonk

Absolutely. The movie is not perfect but it it damn well succeeds at what it is trying to do (convey a complicated political and philosophical story to a large audience in the most spectacular way possible) and it's easily the best big blockbuster movie since at least Infinity War. It surpasses Infinity War for me imo

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 05, 2024, 09:02:53 AMAbsolutely. The movie is not perfect but it it damn well succeeds at what it is trying to do (convey a complicated political and philosophical story to a large audience in the most spectacular way possible) and it's easily the best big blockbuster movie since at least Infinity War. It surpasses Infinity War for me imo

I mean, the other similar example I can think of a Hollywood epic built around a "chosen one turns heel despite having good intentions" theme are the Star Wars prequels :D

Not an easy story to pull off as a grand spectacle for the masses.

FunkMonk

This Shogun show on FX is pretty damn good

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 04, 2024, 11:14:25 PMMaybe I was just too taken by the movie as I was watching it but I didn't feel Paul's turn was rushed or unsatisfying. I'll have to watch the movie again.

Here is my issue with it:

Paul is so determined to not be a genocidal tyrant that he is ready to be killed by the Harkonnens, but then he gets a vision that tells them that actually being a genocidal tyrant is the least bad option actually. he then goes all in. But...wait what happened there? Agree maybe I just need to see the film again. What was the source of the vision? He touched the sand and got a dose of spice? What happened there? It seemed sudden.

But on the other hand we all knew what direction this story was going so I was just relieved for them to get on with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2024, 11:05:22 AMI mean, the other similar example I can think of a Hollywood epic built around a "chosen one turns heel despite having good intentions" theme are the Star Wars prequels :D

Not an easy story to pull off as a grand spectacle for the masses.

Yeah.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Dune 2 - Chani is given greater depth but the way it was done was at the cost of making Jessica one-dimensional and altering her character and motivations in significant ways.  Villeneuve strongly plays up the aspect of Hebert's potrayal of religion as a powerful tool of political manipulation but gives less airtime to its role in cultural preservation and self-strengthening. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Saw it. Liked the first better, and I didn't love the first. Pacing was off or something. Beginning slow, ending rushed. The 5 minutes spent on a Jinn joke could have been better used, for example. I mean I chuckled, but it's just an example of the use of time.  Looked great though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2024, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 03:28:50 PMJust watched Dune 2.  :ph34r:

One a scale of 1 to 10 how much jihadi propaganda was there :ph34r:

I'd say go watch it I don't want to spoil  movies my friend.  :ph34r:

8 Arabic zealots overthrowing imperial Americans looking to exploit their oil/cocaine out of 10 :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

My wife and I recently started watching 'The Americans' (it's not a new show... we'd just never watched it before).  It's pretty great. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2024, 05:14:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2024, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 03:28:50 PMJust watched Dune 2.  :ph34r:

One a scale of 1 to 10 how much jihadi propaganda was there :ph34r:

I'd say go watch it I don't want to spoil  movies my friend.  :ph34r:

8 Arabic zealots overthrowing imperial Americans looking to exploit their oil/cocaine out of 10 :P

Some of the best parts of the movie for me were the Harkonnens having their own Vietnam  :lol:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2024, 05:15:43 PMMy wife and I recently started watching 'The Americans' (it's not a new show... we'd just never watched it before).  It's pretty great. :)

Yeah it's excellent and also Keri Russell is gorgeous