News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2024, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 09:55:34 AMShogun out today. Episode 1 and 2
Shot on location.  In BC. :P

Same forests as in the X-Files?  :D

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 27, 2024, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2024, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 09:55:34 AMShogun out today. Episode 1 and 2
Shot on location.  In BC. :P

Same forests as in the X-Files?  :D
Same one as Stargate Sg-1, Atlantis and Universe too :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 27, 2024, 12:21:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2024, 11:58:35 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 27, 2024, 11:50:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 11:48:40 AMSome in japan too. And the uk for some reason :lol:

Scenes before he went to Japan?
His family back in England?
Can't say I've read the book but if the real William Adams story is in there I think he went back and forth a few times.
IIRC, the book begins as he is in the sea, during a storm, just like the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain.
There are no flashbacks to his time in England.

Still scared it'll be worse than that one. Loved when I saw it decades ago
It was 80s series at its prime, imho.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 11:48:40 AMSome in japan too. And the uk for some reason :lol:

Can't say I've read the book but if the real William Adams story is in there I think he went back and forth a few times.
IIRC, the book begins as he is in the sea, during a storm, just like the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain.

From the trailer, it definitely appears it will be more high-energy/appealing to those younger audiences with a short attention span.

And also if the trailer represents, 1000% less lighting.

HVC

First episodes were good. Some Catholics and or Portuguese people migh be displeased. The types that write letters when angry :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 27, 2024, 10:30:53 PM

From the trailer, it definitely appears it will be more high-energy/appealing to those younger audiences with a short attention span.

And also if the trailer represents, 1000% less lighting.

Increased action I'm fine with if it's handled right.

But less lighting is absolutely my main hate with modern media. Get some fucking candles.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yep pitch black and barely audible dialogs. I mean I get it the cgi must blend in but come on.

Josquius

The dialogues are less of a stand out to me as I think I've grown used to permanent subtitles.
But yes.
Watching masters of the air. The volume at a certain level to hear what the hell people are saying.... Then BOOM DRAMATIC MUSIC.

Annoying enough when you're just watching but trying to get the baby to sleep....
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The "darker = more cinematic!" thing going on with many TV shows is driving me nuts indeed.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 28, 2024, 02:59:07 AMThe dialogues are less of a stand out to me as I think I've grown used to permanent subtitles.
But yes.
Watching masters of the air. The volume at a certain level to hear what the hell people are saying.... Then BOOM DRAMATIC MUSIC.

Annoying enough when you're just watching but trying to get the baby to sleep....

Yeah subtitles are always on for me as well but I didn't realise it's gotten so bad that a native speaker uses them as well. But not surprised at all.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on February 28, 2024, 04:54:53 AMThe "darker = more cinematic!" thing going on with many TV shows is driving me nuts indeed.

I blame Christopher Nolan.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2024, 05:18:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 28, 2024, 04:54:53 AMThe "darker = more cinematic!" thing going on with many TV shows is driving me nuts indeed.

:yes:

Always gets me his Batman films are so highly rated. From my first watch I couldn't stand the dark.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2024, 05:18:04 AM

Nah, it's not that. I lived through this evolution first-hand, so I can attest from my experience.

1990s and 2000s broadcast shows were very brightly lit because of budgetary reasons. You could set up a very basic setup that flooded everything with light, needing little adjustments between setups. That way you could shoot faster and chew through the pages of the script. The first digital cameras also had very little dynamic range (that is, you couldn't have much contrast onscreen while still retaining detail) - that's the reason why The Phantom Menace is so flat-looking, btw.

When "peak tv" began to hit in the late 2000s, a way to distance itself from "shitty broadcast shows" was to make use of moodier lightning. Better digital cameras were now available that allowed this without having to shoot in film. In the end, expressionistic lightning became a marker of perceived quality. And here we are.

Now, there's also the issue that in many cases, the content pipeline is so frantic that production standards have regressed to 1990s broadcast. Meaning, you have to have the moody lightning but you don't have the time to work on the different setups.

Syt

I always felt Braveheart popularized/established the drab and desaturated style for historical movies and shows.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.