News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've read half of The Stand.
The first half with the apocalyptic virus is cool.
Then things get supernatural and it just drops.

I watched the Henry Sugar short film. It was nice.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So in one episode of Cheers, Diane's phone number is written on the wall in the men's room:

Now, I noticed that the number doesn't start with the customary "555" that's often used (and in fact was used a few episodes ago).

So I googled the number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny

Normally good with old popular songs that people forgot, but I forgot this one till I looked it up and listened to it. :D

(At least I recognized the chorus. :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on October 30, 2023, 07:09:53 AMI've read half of The Stand.

Swan Song, which either drew inspiration from, or gave it to, The Stand is a good book.
PDH!

Josephus

The Stand I'd argue is King's best book. But the ending is...well... a bit deus ex machina. Its like he came up with this big, epic plot but couldn't figure out how to finish it. Although you can argue that for most of his books. The ending of IT (the book) for instance..... I'm sure King regrets writing that
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Back to movies: I rewatched Silence of the Lambs. First time since I saw it in theatres so many years ago. Man, it holds up well. Great film.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

celedhring

Silence of the Lambs is the rare "perfect" movie imho. The script, the direction, the acting, the lightning, everything is set up to deliver the - imho - best possible version of that story.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2023, 12:54:13 PMSilence of the Lambs is the rare "perfect" movie imho. The script, the direction, the acting, the lightning, everything is set up to deliver the - imho - best possible version of that story.
Yes.

Also I don't know why but it's up there with Zodiac in terms of thrillers I've seen so often the're a strange sort of comfort movie :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 30, 2023, 10:39:31 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 30, 2023, 07:09:53 AMI've read half of The Stand.

Swan Song, which either drew inspiration from, or gave it to, The Stand is a good book.

Earth Abides remains the top example of the genre to me.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Watched som of the new Frasier. Not bad, but not good. A weird nostalgic scratch for an itch I didn't realize I had.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2023, 12:54:13 PMSilence of the Lambs is the rare "perfect" movie imho. The script, the direction, the acting, the lightning, everything is set up to deliver the - imho - best possible version of that story.

I recently rewatched a couple scenes myself (Clarice and Hannibal's first meeting, Clarice in the country morgue, Hannibal escaping from the Nashville cage) and the thought struck me that Hannibal is presented as a madman but it's just a plot device.  His character does not act organically like a madman (say as opposed to Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver).

Josephus

He's a madman with a doctorate in psychology

Sheilbh

Is he presented as a madman?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2023, 04:12:27 PMIs he presented as a madman?

Have you seen the movie? :unsure:

Currently watching Bill Burr's "Old Dads."  An extension of his anti-woke stand up schtick.  He has stopped being very funny ever since that seminal SNL monologue. 

One thing that makes this film even less funny than his standup is he is no longer just responding to internet memes.  When you put all these twitter attack lines in the mouths of actual characters it just doesn't scan.  No one talks like that in real life.  Well maybe they do in southern California, but it doesn't scan for me.

Sheilbh

:lol: Yeah - it's one of my favourites.

I think in a film with a lot of madmen, I'm not sure he's one :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!