News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 02, 2022, 03:51:32 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 02, 2022, 03:45:26 PMDid the two Scarface movies have anything in common, besides dealing with organized crime?

Illegal substance, alcohol replaced by cocaine, and foreign criminal, Italian gangster by Cuban gangster.
The whole incest angle is there as well, possibly less implicit in the original movie.

As far as remakes go, it's one of the best.
Plus there are some homage shots and references to the original in the dialogue, scenery, and the like. It's definitely an interesting pairing to watch them both.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Solmyr on December 02, 2022, 11:07:08 AMTrailer for the upcoming Indiana Jones movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

I am: excited.

So either some time travel or alt-history.  Hmmm, leaning towards "meh".  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2022, 03:56:24 PMAs for remakes, probably hard to beat A Star is Born (1937-1954-1975-2018).

Dracula?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

There have been about fifty "It's a Wonderful Life" clones.
PDH!

Sophie Scholl

A few here I hadn't thought of in terms of remakes:
https://movieweb.com/most-remade-movies/
(TLDR: A Star Is Born, Seven Samurai, Jane Eyre, Dracula, A Christmas Carol, Annie, Batman, King Kong, Les Mis)
According to this article though, A Christmas Carol tops the list with 9 remakes (1901, 1935, 1938, 1951, 1970, 1984, 1988, 1992, 2009) as of when it was published.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Tbh I'd watch Harrison Ford even if he's 100 and rolling around on a wheelchair. :P

Syt

https://twitter.com/coenesqued2/status/1598707678788059142

QuoteReconsidering Cinema
@coenesqued2
I asked AI to render Wes Anderson's The Shining

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Those are AI-generated images? Wow.

Syt

Just don't count the fingers on the baseball bat :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Started S7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Still very good, but I feel S5+6 haven't been quite as good as the previous ones. I do like the various unexpected cameos, though (John McEnroe, Michael McKean, Christine O'Hara, etc.). :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Just read that Sherlock Holmes will fully enter public domain at the beginning of 2023.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on December 02, 2022, 05:43:51 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 02, 2022, 03:51:32 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 02, 2022, 03:45:26 PMDid the two Scarface movies have anything in common, besides dealing with organized crime?

Illegal substance, alcohol replaced by cocaine, and foreign criminal, Italian gangster by Cuban gangster.
The whole incest angle is there as well, possibly less implicit in the original movie.

As far as remakes go, it's one of the best.
Plus there are some homage shots and references to the original in the dialogue, scenery, and the like. It's definitely an interesting pairing to watch them both.

Exactly. I have seen both movies bundled in sales, with the original one as a bonus (real extra).
The pre-code original is pretty modern in its own way.

Plus you get Boris Karloff in a non-horror role.

celedhring

Anyway, Sight & Sound has released its decennial update to their best of all time list.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

And Jeanne Dielmann takes the top spot over Vertigo (previous holder), which has made a lot of people that never cared about the list, suddenly care about the list  :lol:

I'm quite happy of seeing far more films made in the last 30 years than there were in the 2012 edition, even if there are some weird choices (I loved Get Out, but top 100 of all time? Really?)

celedhring

As usual I find myself liking the Director's List more than the official one (made by critics and academics): https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/directors-100-greatest-films-all-time

The Larch

Taking a quick look at the official list it feels incredibly hipsterish/academic. I mean, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in terms of cinema and its history for a normal person (of course I can't compare with a professional or an academic), and I haven't ever heard of 3 out of the top 10 films, and 7 out of the top 20.