News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2020, 04:41:56 AM
Picked up Avatar, the animated show. I've been wanting to watch it for quite some time, since it's got so much praise. So far the animation is rather average but the world-building is ambitious.
I watched this a couple of years ago and I agree. But it is great by the end.

I also recommend following up with Korra the sort-of sequel.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, I'm only a few episodes in and so far it's in the "it's good, but not something I'd watch as an adult" category, but I assume it will grow.

Josquius

Yes. That's where I've got with it every time I tried to watch.
Strikes me as something I would have loved as a kid but now? Meh.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2020, 04:52:18 AM
Yeah, I'm only a few episodes in and so far it's in the "it's good, but not something I'd watch as an adult" category, but I assume it will grow.

It gets better and better over the course of the series.

Three western must-see animation series:

- Gravity Falls
- Over the Garden Wall

All are children's shows that also appeal to adults.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

The Oxford Murders. Frodo goes to Oxford looking for mentor, ass. Silly, but not horrible. You have to close your ears during the pseudo math/physics babble though. The chicks are hot. And yes you [spoiler]do get to see those awesome tits before the end.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2020, 03:25:14 PM
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

It's an excellent show!  Lots of suspense, even if some things are left predictable, I'm in episode 6 of the first season right now, can't wait for the rest of the series!

I didn't realize Clancy was dead though.

Anyway, part of the first season is located in France and they seem to have some weird conceptions on DGSE and police behavior over there (quite trigger happy), as well as a misunderstanding of French society and a rosy view of the US cultural relationships.  And as with everything Clancy, the CIA is all benevolent, with only a few bad, rotten apples thrown into the mix :P

Btw viper, I'm watching Threadstone (on Amazon Prime in Canada). It's much, much better than Jack Ryan. Give it a try.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2020, 02:49:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2020, 03:25:14 PM
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

It's an excellent show!  Lots of suspense, even if some things are left predictable, I'm in episode 6 of the first season right now, can't wait for the rest of the series!

I didn't realize Clancy was dead though.

Anyway, part of the first season is located in France and they seem to have some weird conceptions on DGSE and police behavior over there (quite trigger happy), as well as a misunderstanding of French society and a rosy view of the US cultural relationships.  And as with everything Clancy, the CIA is all benevolent, with only a few bad, rotten apples thrown into the mix :P

Btw viper, I'm watching Threadstone (on Amazon Prime in Canada). It's much, much better than Jack Ryan. Give it a try.
Next on the list, thanks :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Finished Troy: Fall of a City. At first I thought it was a bit meh but it grew on me. I like how they portray most people, especially Achilles, Agamemnon, and Odysseus.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2020, 05:31:00 PM
Finished Troy: Fall of a City. At first I thought it was a bit meh but it grew on me. I like how they portray most people, especially Achilles, Agamemnon, and Odysseus.

Try the Trojan War podcast

Eddie Teach

Messiah. Interesting story. The part where he claims asylum might be a little indulgent for American viewers, but that's ok with me.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Dazed and Confused. Actors were younger then.

11B4V

Watching, Color Out of Space.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: 11B4V on March 14, 2020, 07:43:21 PM

The trailer for that one forced me to roll for sanity. And not because it was well made.

I've become convinced that you can't probably make a good film adaptation of most Lovecraft stories. They are too introspective and feature too many "this thing I can't describe is driving me mad" plots.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2020, 03:29:16 AM

The trailer for that one forced me to roll for sanity. And not because it was well made.

Btw, did you see this? http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7881.msg1225282.html#msg1225282
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2020, 03:30:55 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2020, 03:29:16 AM

Btw, did you see this? http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7881.msg1225282.html#msg1225282

A flurry murder-mystery set in 1970s Barcelona. This looks... odd.

That said, the locations look pretty generic and don't give me the feel of that time or place, but the other game this company made seems to have pretty good reviews.