News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2020, 05:04:16 AM
Binged Altered Carbon season 2. It's way less trashy than season 1, which is both good and bad. Meaning that the show is entertaining and with less downright awful moments, but it seems to consciously take a few steps back every time it seems that it could get weird/interesting.

Didn't know there was a season 2. Thanks.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Ooh didn't realize either.   :cool:

celedhring

Yeah, the release has been kinda sneaky, doesn't seem Netflix has promoted it much.

As said, the show plays it safe this season compared to the first, but I still hope we get a third one. Never have enough sci-fi on the telly.

garbon

I think I can't remember the 1st season so much, but this season seemed overly high on melodramatic moments.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

The Two Popes.

A nice, artfully made film about two old men talking about God, meaning etc. It works when the two old men are played by Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Price.

On a sort-of, factual basis though it's strange as it manages to be reasonably unfair to both Benedict and Francis :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2020, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2020, 05:04:16 AM
Binged Altered Carbon season 2. It's way less trashy than season 1, which is both good and bad. Meaning that the show is entertaining and with less downright awful moments, but it seems to consciously take a few steps back every time it seems that it could get weird/interesting.

Didn't know there was a season 2. Thanks.

I have yet to see anyone say anything about this show that didn't make it sound, overall, pretty bad.

But people seem to be watching it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

It's trashy, but fun. Fun trash. Watch a couple of episodes and try it out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Series 1 at least I really liked. It's not exactly deep, but I wouldn't necessarily class it as trashy either. It's world has had some thought put into it and makes sense.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Yeah, season 1 was great.

The Brain

Isn't there a Swede in there?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I watched the end of Silicon Valley.
Bad end. 😔
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Germany Year Zerzo (1948)

Bleakest of Roberto Rossellini's "War Trilogy" (and, unsurprisingly, the only one that doesn't have Fredrico Fellini as a writer or assistant director).  This was mostly shot on a sound screen in Rome, with only exterior shots done in Berlin; though, more typical of neo-realism, it does use a mixture of professional and non-professional actors.  This deals with a young boy as he tries to navigate Berlin in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War.  It's mostly a story of privation, starvation, the black market and police raids.  I don't think the story holds together very well; both the resolution and the final shocking scene felt forced.  It's worth seeing because it was an influence on "The 400 Blows," but otherwise it's one of the weaker neo-realist films.

In his movies Rossellini associates moral evil with sexual deviancy; in this case the unrepentant Nazi is also a pedophile.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Caught a big dose of redcoat sausage in Outlander.  Thanks viper.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2020, 02:29:12 PM

It's every Canadian's fetish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2020, 02:29:12 PM
I don't think I went that far into the series  :lol:

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.