TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

My Neighbor Totoro. It's pretty great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

It's an excellent show!  Lots of suspense, even if some things are left predictable, I'm in episode 6 of the first season right now, can't wait for the rest of the series!

I didn't realize Clancy was dead though.

Anyway, part of the first season is located in France and they seem to have some weird conceptions on DGSE and police behavior over there (quite trigger happy), as well as a misunderstanding of French society and a rosy view of the US cultural relationships.  And as with everything Clancy, the CIA is all benevolent, with only a few bad, rotten apples thrown into the mix :P

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I doubt the CIA is any worse than the FBI, on balance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I'm enjoying Homeland so far this season. Yes, it's run its course, and I'm glad it's in its final season, but this season's been pretty tight. And one thing it does well is it's ability to incorporate very current events into its story line. I mean, the main story this season, so far, is peace between USA,Afghanistand and the Taliban, which IRL only just happened.
I'm expecting Coronavirus to break out any moment.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

I stopped after season 4 I think. Would you say it's worth going through the seasons before to get to the last season, or was it a slog?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2020, 03:25:14 PM
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

It's an excellent show!  Lots of suspense, even if some things are left predictable, I'm in episode 6 of the first season right now, can't wait for the rest of the series!

I didn't realize Clancy was dead though.

Anyway, part of the first season is located in France and they seem to have some weird conceptions on DGSE and police behavior over there (quite trigger happy), as well as a misunderstanding of French society and a rosy view of the US cultural relationships.  And as with everything Clancy, the CIA is all benevolent, with only a few bad, rotten apples thrown into the mix :P

It seems like a cartooney version of real life written by someone whose never left a safe college campus.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zoupa

Jack Ryan was terrible. I was immensely bored a few months ago and watch both seasons. Season 2 is even worse.

Habbaku: don't bother with Homeland.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 04, 2020, 06:26:52 PM
I stopped after season 4 I think. Would you say it's worth going through the seasons before to get to the last season, or was it a slog?

That is when I stopped as well.  I binged season 7 before starting this season. That was worth it.  Season 7 was both good and provides necessary background information to understand one of the main plot lines in season 8.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 04, 2020, 03:32:49 PM
I doubt the CIA is any worse than the FBI, on balance.
Well, I don't think it's evil, I just don't believe in this rosey version they shown on screen.  :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 04, 2020, 07:56:21 PM
Jack Ryan was terrible. I was immensely bored a few months ago and watch both seasons. Season 2 is even worse.
Please, respect my safe space, dude!
:P

viper37

Netflix is bringing back the Transformers, G1 models (that means the 80's look, the look most of us grew up watching)
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/transformers-anime-series-netflix-rolls-213256876.html

Looks nice :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2020, 03:17:41 PM
I don't think I went that far into the series  :lol:

Since I'm sure you're dying of curiosity, Edmure Tully is an anteater.

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 04, 2020, 06:26:52 PM

They weren't great. You don't really need to watch them to catch up. There's a bit that happens in Season 7 that explains Carrie in Season 8, but it's not hard to figure out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

So I was doing some work this evening and popped Wonder Woman on the TV. I look up and am astonished to see a sort of buff, armoured David Thewlis.

Comic book movies have really taken us to a strange place. It feels like it won't be long before a motion captured Timothy Spall is wrestling with one of the hot Chrises :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

The words are in English, yet I've no idea what you're trying to say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?