Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 07:46:01 AM
Re this - who were everyone's preferences for being king/queen?
I knew it would be Danny from the 1st episode on.  I knew she would be involved with the person she was involved in the last season from the 1st episode.  The (book) series title is kinda revealing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Creed 2.
Very good movie, worthy successor to the Rocky series.  However, I was left underwhelmed by the final fight.  Not as epic as Rocky IV.

Not much of a spoiler but just in case...
[spoiler]
That Romanian boxer they recruited for acting the part of Drago's son, he's a goddam mountain of muscle!  :blink:   Jesus, he's more built than his fake dad was back in the 80s :P
And he can act decently enough for the part.  His facial mimicks, his whole non verbal attitude was fantastive for his role as a Drago :P
[/spoiler]

Duque, if you haven't, go and watch this one now! Just watch Rocky IV again, before this one, to get you in the mood :P :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Good action flick, but I am left underwhelmed by these last two MI movies.  I don't think they are the best of the series, and I'm not sure this one deserved all the praise, it was way too predictable, sometimes.

celedhring

I enjoyed Creed 2, myself. So odd to see somebody take such a schlocky 80s guilty pleasure as Rocky 4 and actually take the Ivan Drago character seriously. Making him a pro-Russian Ukranian is a stroke of genius.  :lol:

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on February 26, 2020, 03:29:42 AM
So odd to see somebody take ... the Ivan Drago character seriously.

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 26, 2020, 03:29:42 AM
I enjoyed Creed 2, myself. So odd to see somebody take such a schlocky 80s guilty pleasure as Rocky 4 and actually take the Ivan Drago character seriously. Making him a pro-Russian Ukranian is a stroke of genius.  :lol:
Both Creed films have been brilliant and so much better than they have any right to be.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2020, 07:52:42 PM
Creed 2.

Duque, if you haven't, go and watch this one now! Just watch Rocky IV again, before this one, to get you in the mood :P :P

Already watched it when it was in cinemas. Hard to root for Creed Jr., a jackass in this sequel.

As for Drago being Ukrainian and pro-Russian, rather than just Soviet then whatever citizenship and nationality he ended up with at the end of the USSR, given how hard the fall from grace, not to mention the now siliconed and facelifted Brigite Nielsen former Mrs Drago ending up with another member of the Russian elite, it looks more like exile, specially given his line of work.
Besides, Ivan Drago is actually human this time.

PS: still much better than whatever current super-hero crap at cinemas.

Admiral Yi

The Bling Ring 2013

Five high school fashionistas start breaking into celebrities homes.  Emma Watson plays a supporting role.  Written and directed by Sophia Coppola.

I've watched about half and most of it has been: break in, "ooh, this is Prada, ooh, this is Luis Vuitton, ooh.." steal some stuff.  Go to night club, take many selfies.

Anyone who thought that Lost in Translation wasn't much, but saved by great performances, this is some confirmation that Sophia Coppola is not much of a writer or director.

Educational in the sense that The Valley sure has changed since my formative years.  Vastly more upscale, hipper, etc.  Used to be considered pretty tacky.  Like LA version of bridge and tunnel.

There is plenty of ass.  All PG13 so far.

What is Emma Watson doing with a nothing role in this fucking movie?

The Brain

Let me know if they break into the wrong house and get punished.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Herminione getting cuffed was a little cute, but don't go out of your way.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2020, 07:54:17 PM
Mission Impossible: Fallout

Good action flick, but I am left underwhelmed by these last two MI movies.  I don't think they are the best of the series, and I'm not sure this one deserved all the praise, it was way too predictable, sometimes.

I think the praise - at least around Languish - was more about the sheer giddy ridiculousness of the action, which I enjoyed greatly. The plot isn't really much.

Sheilbh

Was the plot ever good? Isn't it basically just an American Bond now? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2020, 11:49:46 AM
Was the plot ever good? Isn't it basically just an American Bond now? :mellow:

First one imho was pretty good. Issue is that a lot of the things in it (high-tech heist, betrayals and double betrayals, etc...) have been rehashed so many times that it feels a bit trite nowadays.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 26, 2020, 05:16:10 AM
Already watched it when it was in cinemas. Hard to root for Creed Jr., a jackass in this sequel.
True.  He's so sure of himself and is there only for revenge.  But character wise, he makes a nice come back, once he reconciles with Rocky.

Besides, Ivan Drago is actually human this time.
Yes, and it sends a powerful message to all these parents who want to live their own dreams by proxy with their kids.

PS: still much better than whatever current super-hero crap at cinemas.
Well, there's nothing Marvel currently in theaters :P

I heard Birds of Prey was actually good.