News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Grumbler summarizes it nicely.

The show runners were completely on their own in the last season.   I hope Martin finishes this series so we can read how he brings it all together, assuming he does.

Valmy

I just really hope we get one more book.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The main problem with the last two seasons of GoT was that they sucked diarrhoea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2020, 12:53:59 PM

The show runners were completely on their own in the last season.   I hope Martin finishes this series so we can read how he brings it all together, assuming he does.
We probably got Martin's original ending.  He gave it to the show runners along with some plot lines.  But then he saw the fans' reaction and decided he would make something different (he has certainly hinted at it...)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2020, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2020, 12:53:59 PM

We probably got Martin's original ending.  He gave it to the show runners along with some plot lines.  But then he saw the fans' reaction and decided he would make something different (he has certainly hinted at it...)

I agree.  I think that martin sold "the answer" and reverted in his own planning to his second choice of endings.  There would be no reason to continue towards his original ending if the show had already used it.  I believe that he felt that he could stay ahead of the show and so the show would not spoil his ending.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

...or Martin's ending may not change much in substance, but the way we get there will, most likely, be a lot longer with many different paths taken, so that it won't feel so rushed. And with Martin nothing really ever is.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on February 25, 2020, 03:05:41 PM
...or Martin's ending may not change much in substance, but the way we get there will, most likely, be a lot longer with many different paths taken, so that it won't feel so rushed. And with Martin nothing really ever is.

Dunno.  Jon Snow being undead rather than returned to life is already a big change.  I'm not sure a zombie can really pull of the Dani love story.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2020, 03:09:24 PM

Dunno.  Jon Snow being undead rather than returned to life is already a big change.  I'm not sure a zombie can really pull of the Dani love story.

But the love story is not needed for the ultimate ending.  The show runners were probably told how it ends, they just had no idea how to get there.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2020, 03:25:08 PM

But the love story is not needed for the ultimate ending.  The show runners were probably told how it ends, they just had no idea how to get there.

I wonder if Martin does. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Well yeah, that is the hope/question.

Habbaku

I think this is the far more likely answer. I certainly believe Bran, for instance, will end up on the Iron Throne (not that it matters much), but the way we get to the ending(s) will be dramatically different. A lot of characters got cut from the show, for instance, and to assume they'll have no impact is unlikely. I don't even think some of the characters that died in the show will necessarily die in the books.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

I mean Euron being the dark god of all evil, rather than just some generic douchebag, has to change a few things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2020, 03:37:40 PM
I mean Euron being the dark god of all evil, rather than just some generic douchebag, has to change a few things.

We're totally getting a kraken in book 6.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Wait when did this happen?  All I recall from the book timeline was him getting stabbed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2020, 03:44:15 PM

Wait when did this happen?  All I recall from the book timeline was him getting stabbed.

There is a hint that he became undead - "He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold..."  But there are a lot more hints that he is Azor Ahai