News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 24, 2020, 10:11:23 AM
Saw Parasite yesterday. It was more deeply affecting to me than I thought it would be. That ending was a gut punch.

When done right, I love those drawn-out gut-wrenching endings. Lots of Korean movies do them, I guess it's a cultural thing.

Berkut

I saw it this week, and was rather underwhelmed. My expectations were much higher.

What was so gut punching about it? I mean, it was kind of shocking sorta, but nothing that profound.

I was expecting much more. Solid movie, but nothing THAT special.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2020, 04:50:45 PM
I saw it this week, and was rather underwhelmed. My expectations were much higher.

What was so gut punching about it? I mean, it was kind of shocking sorta, but nothing that profound.

That the movie is basically saying hope is an insidious lie.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2020, 04:50:45 PM

Well [spoiler]when the camera pans down from the dream sequence and he is back in his squalor where he will always be it had a powerful effect on me.  Also on my wife who insisted I watch it with her as she watched it again.  The movie moves from a light comedy to commentary on inequality almost imperceptibly and then hits you in the end sequence.  [/spoiler]

Sheilbh

Using my time as a shut-in to finally watch the tits and dragons show. It's not too bad  :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2020, 11:32:23 AM
When done right, I love those drawn-out gut-wrenching endings. Lots of Korean movies do them, I guess it's a cultural thing.

Koreans do love themselves some emo.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2020, 06:25:11 PM
Using my time as a shut-in to finally watch the tits and dragons show. It's not too bad  :hmm:

Just don't watch the last season. Make up your own ending and it will be much better.

Sheilbh

Inside No. 9 - Misdirection

I think I've mentioned Insde No. 9 before. It's one of the best shows on British TV right now. It's a black comedy anthology/portmanteau series. Each episode takes place on a different single set (the biggest I can think of is a house) with a limited number of characters and tells a story in half an hour.

The writers and actors, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Permberton, were part of the team that wrote League of Gentlemen and later Psychoville so a lot of the episodes have a slight horror/comedy vibe. The setting and cast change each episode and have included a witch trial in 17th century England, a couchette on a French train and a referee's changing room on the last game of the season.

Latest episode, which had Fionn Whitehead, in it was about magicians and their precious IP - with, I felt a little bit of Hammer about it. They've started getting posters for each new episode - so I'd strongly recommend and you can jump in anywhere - think it's on Netflix as well as BBC.

This week's poster:

Edit: Oh and the "live" Halloween episode from last year was exceptional.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2020, 06:50:42 PM

Just don't watch the last season. Make up your own ending and it will be much better.

Or just watch the last season and enjoy the spectacle, but don't expect a great story or logical writing at that point.

It's still one of the best shows of all time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I've never seen the last season and I feel I have the best of both worlds.

Eddie Teach

Well, at least it gives you a resolution, even if it's not told as well as prior seasons.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I'm watching Okja because the director just won an Oscar.  It's pretty good.

Feel so proud that I just caught an in joke for Korean and English speakers.  In case you're curious, the last thing Steven Yeun tells Mija before he jumps out of the semi into the Han, is "BTW, my name is Hoo Sheun Bum" but it's subtitled "Mija, try learning English! It opens new doors!"

Admiral Yi

Well that didn't go well.  Starts out with some sly understated humor then as soon as it shifts to the the US it does a bunch of meth and starts screaming anti-GMO and anti-food industry slogans at the top of its lungs.  Bleh.  No cleverness.  No wit.  Just loudness.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on February 24, 2020, 10:19:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2020, 06:50:42 PM

Or just watch the last season and enjoy the spectacle, but don't expect a great story or logical writing at that point.

It's still one of the best shows of all time.
Re this - who were everyone's preferences for being king/queen?
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The biggest problem I had with the ending of GoT wasn't the ending, per se, but the fact that the ending simply ruined or ignored all of the major sub-plots of the previous seven seasons.

I mean, yeah, it was [spoiler]dumb that dragonfire could take down The Wall but couldn't knock over a pile of bricks when a character hid behind them [/spoiler], but it was worse that [spoiler]the entire Night King story line had no long-term significance whatsoever - he was just a McGuffin.  The big battle was completely unnecessary.  They could have left Bran and Arya in the Godswood and just retreated, and the Night King and the dead army would still be vanquished just the way they were. [/spoiler]

So Yi is corect that he is better off not having seen the final season. It wasn't a zero, it was a negative number (bar the "night before the battle" episode, which was one of the best in the entire series).  Just watch that one episode and avoid the rest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!