News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Lately I got into a British show called Line of Duty, and Season 3 is beyond a doubt one of the best seasons of televsion I've ever seen.
Show's about a police unit that investigates police corruption. Really well worth watching, if just for the final two-three episodes of Season 3. Really nail-biting stuff.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

I'm watching a new show 68 Whiskey on Paramount channel. It's a more light hearted take on soldiers in Afghanistan. So far it's fun, pretty good. I like it as it's a bit of change of pace not being a heavy duty shoot-em-up like most similar shows but so far has some good characters and story lines.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on February 06, 2020, 09:19:35 PM
I'm watching a new show 68 Whiskey on Paramount channel. It's a more light hearted take on soldiers in Afghanistan. So far it's fun, pretty good. I like it as it's a bit of change of pace not being a heavy duty shoot-em-up like most similar shows but so far has some good characters and story lines.
M*a*s*h for the the Afghan war?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2020, 01:13:34 AM
Quote from: KRonn on February 06, 2020, 09:19:35 PM
M*a*s*h for the the Afghan war?

No, it's not a comedy, just a lighter type of military show but with more serious issues and character stories.

crazy canuck

MASH dealt with some pretty serious issues  :)

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2020, 02:43:55 PM
MASH dealt with some pretty serious issues  :)

Yep, true dat. But Whiskey 68 isn't going for another version of MASH.  Kind of has its own niche. :)

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2019, 09:50:28 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2019, 08:31:51 AM
I know it will not be of much interest to the audience here, but I though I'd give a shout-out to the animated series Hilda, on Netflix.

Hilda was delightful.

You caused me to google it - apparently there will be a season 2 in 2020.

So, is Alfur your favorite character?  How about you, Malthus?

;)

Hilda was a great deal of fun; thanks for the recommendation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Zanza

Just saw Parasite in cinema today. Bizarre, hilarious and sometimes serious. I understand why it gets so much praise.

Sheilbh

Need to watch that.

Three episodes into Giri/Haji and I think it is very good. It's on iPlayer for two more months in the U.K. and I think Netflix elsewhere. It is very stylised and contrived but it works somehow.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

So, out with a cold I've binged the Witcher. Wonderful series, in my mind superior to GoT, mostly because I could never get into GoT, knowing from the beginning that the end would suck.

Reading up on the thing I found this little gem about the author, from Wikipedia.

QuoteIn an interview Sapkowski explained that he wanted the language to be reasonably legible to a reader, to avoid footnotes. As he said: "In my book, I do not want for an orc telling to another orc 'Burbatuluk grabataluk!' to be supplied with a footnote: 'Shut the door, don't let the flies in!'"

Yeah, attack Tolkien on language, that's the best way to critique him. And apparently Sapkowski has an elven language in his books.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on February 10, 2020, 06:25:27 AM
Reading up on the thing I found this little gem about the author, from Wikipedia.

QuoteIn an interview Sapkowski explained that he wanted the language to be reasonably legible to a reader, to avoid footnotes. As he said: "In my book, I do not want for an orc telling to another orc 'Burbatuluk grabataluk!' to be supplied with a footnote: 'Shut the door, don't let the flies in!'"

Yeah, attack Tolkien on language, that's the best way to critique him. And apparently Sapkowski has an elven language in his books.

I don't think that this is an attack on Tolkien at all, since JRRT didn't do this.  Tolkien only had footnotes in his appendices, insofar as I recall.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Is Parasite as good as the Academy thinks it is?

I liked Snowpiercer. Wondering about Parasite.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2020, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: Threviel on February 10, 2020, 06:25:27 AM

I don't think that this is an attack on Tolkien at all, since JRRT didn't do this.  Tolkien only had footnotes in his appendices, insofar as I recall.

The quotes language is awfully similar to Black speech or Orcish. In my Swedish translation of RotK there is a footnote when Shagrat ans Snaga talks where the word tark is discussed in the appendices. I seem to remember several such instances through the books, although rare.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 10, 2020, 12:56:30 PM

is it by the same guy? I liked Snowpiercer too
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 10, 2020, 12:56:30 PM

It is.