And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on January 23, 2019, 03:20:29 PM
No one has anything to say about Roma?

I'll say this - I haven't seen it, but it seems to be a critical favorite - from what I gather, it is supposed to be an earnest and lyrical look at the breakdown of a middle-class Mexican family and the relationship of their maid to the family members. Strikes me at first impression as the sort of thing critics would like, but that I might find very dull.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on January 23, 2019, 04:26:26 PM

I'll say this - I haven't seen it, but it seems to be a critical favorite - from what I gather, it is supposed to be an earnest and lyrical look at the breakdown of a middle-class Mexican family and the relationship of their maid to the family members. Strikes me at first impression as the sort of thing critics would like, but that I might find very dull.  :D

I used to like artsy kinds of movies from time to time, but now I find that by the time I'm able to sit down and watch some tv I find myself wanting to watch things that aren't at all challenging.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

It was beautifully shot, but it is not a fast paced film in any sense.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on January 23, 2019, 04:26:26 PM

See those are my thoughts exactly--was wondering if Languish would convince me otherwise.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

One movie I did see, and enjoy very much, was The Favorite. This also features the story of a relationship with a maid, but of a very different sort ... 

Based (somewhat freely  :D) on the three-sided relationship between Sarah Churchill, Queen Anne, and Abigail Masham.

Lesbian sex abounds!

In the actual history it probably did not, though.   

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2019, 06:05:25 PM
I loved it!

Which one? The British lesbian sex or the Mexican maid?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I loved it!

I did too - one thing wasn't clear to me though, and that was whether Sarah actually cared for Anne at all or not.

Clearly Abigail didn't care at all, and was just screwing her for a position at court, and to avoid being shoved out on the street, but it wasn't totally clear whether Sarah was basically doing the same thing or not.

If Sarah actually cared for Anne, it's a pretty sad outcome for Anne.

Valmy

Anne's life was generally pretty sad so she could probably take it.

She was pretty devoted to her hubby though, I guess this is supposed to take place after his death?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2019, 07:00:38 PM
Stuart lezzie sex
I expected Yi to comment on some lesbian scene in a movie, but never thought it would be you...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

I caught the 3d showing of They Shall Not Grow Old, Peter Jackson's First World War documentary.  It was amazing.  The 30 minute post credits interview/behind the scenes discussion added a lot as well.  I highly recommend it to all Languisites.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

White Boy Rick. More depressing than you'd think from the trailer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

What do you expect about gypsies, really?  :rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 23, 2019, 07:27:12 PM
I loved it!

I did too - one thing wasn't clear to me though, and that was whether Sarah actually cared for Anne at all or not.

Clearly Abigail didn't care at all, and was just screwing her for a position at court, and to avoid being shoved out on the street, but it wasn't totally clear whether Sarah was basically doing the same thing or not.

If Sarah actually cared for Anne, it's a pretty sad outcome for Anne.

From some of her looks (particularly when she couldn't get through locked door in passageway) it felt like she did actually care for Anne. That's why I liked the end where Abigail's face seemed to convey she was now powerlessly pimped out again like how her father had did and Anne realized she had given up her love. 

Only wish they hadn't overlain endlessly the rabbits. Would have liked better if after panning from Abigail to Anne, they cut immediately to black.