News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Cheri.  Michelle Pfiffer is Queen of the Cougars in Belle Epoque France.  She bangs Orlando Bloom for six years, then he gets married.  She misses him.  He misses her.  They bang again and she says he has to leave.  The end.

Visually very lush.  A lot of the moody silent still shots don't work.  Kathy Bates is miscast as Legolas's mom.

AnchorClanker

So, I got married and one of the first things that needed sorting out was WHICH DOCTOR WHO was she going to start out with?  I agonized over this for months, and finally just started her on NuWho Season One and hoped for the best.  Thankfully, she enjoyed it and I have just got her to the cusp of Season 7 of NuWho with a few sidebars into Classic Doctor Who... enough so she gets the faces and references. 

I only bring this up as it seems that there's a ton of folks out there who have the same issue - "ZOMG MY PARTNER HASN'T SEEN DOCTOR WHO, WHERE DO I START"

At least in our house, NuWho with sprinklings of Classic Doctor Who seemed to do the trick.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Eddie Teach

They lost my interest when Karen Gillan left the show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 02:52:09 AM
I only bring this up as it seems that there's a ton of folks out there who have the same issue - "ZOMG MY PARTNER HASN'T SEEN DOCTOR WHO, WHERE DO I START"

Strange and bizarre
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2019, 03:42:25 AM

Strange and bizarre

Yes and no.  There's more than one webpage devoted to this question, and I had the same misgivings about exactly HOW to introduce her to that universe.  Old?  New?  Where?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Richard Hakluyt

I guess the old and much-loved series must look incredibly dated by now. Probably a good idea to start with the new stuff.

Syt

M. Night Shyamalan analyzes Frasier and its influence on his work. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxPcN_onpzc
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 19, 2019, 04:01:50 AM
I guess the old and much-loved series must look incredibly dated by now. Probably a good idea to start with the new stuff.

There's currently a Doctor Who marathon on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

They've gotten up to the Tom Baker era so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 03:48:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2019, 03:42:25 AM

Strange and bizarre

Yes and no.  There's more than one webpage devoted to this question, and I had the same misgivings about exactly HOW to introduce her to that universe.  Old?  New?  Where?

I don't know why someone would do that to someone they ostensibly love. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 19, 2019, 04:01:50 AM

Our experience is that she appreciates the Old DW more when she understands the references and the in-jokes from NuWho.  There's no way she's going to like the Classic DW as much as I do, but then again, I grew up with it since I was 7 or so.  Funnily enough, it was my grade school music teacher who got me into it.

mongers

So, I got married and one of the first things that needed sorting out was WHICH DOCTOR WHO was she going to start out with?  I agonized over this for months, and finally just started her on NuWho Season One and hoped for the best.  Thankfully, she enjoyed it and I have just got her to the cusp of Season 7 of NuWho with a few sidebars into Classic Doctor Who... enough so she gets the faces and references. 

At least in our house, NuWho with sprinklings of Classic Doctor Who seemed to do the trick.

:cool:

Ank, good to hear from you.

Doubly cool on both accounts.  :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

AnchorClanker

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2019, 08:11:51 AM

:cool:

Ank, good to hear from you.

Doubly cool on both accounts.  :cheers:

Yes, thankfully it's all panning out.  Waiting until later in life has been a wise move so far as the marriage was concerned, and as for trading TV shows and movies, it's been a learning experience for both of us.

I introduced her to:

Yes, Minister (and Yes, Prime Minister)
The West Wing
Rick and Morty
Doctor Who
Northern Exposure
Black Books
Trailer Park Boys

so far, so good.

Eddie Teach

Interesting list. What shows has she introduced you to?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2019, 09:10:45 AM
Interesting list. What shows has she introduced you to?

[MCP]Oprah [/MCP]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!