Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2017, 03:25:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
I think his point is that it feeds into negative perceptions of homosexuals to combine a response to sexual assault of a 14 year old and a coming out statement as a gay man in the same breath. Him being a gay man has little to do with the sexual assault as being a gay man != lusting after a 14 year old.

So he would have preferred that Spacey stay in the closet after the accusation?

Maybe.

I do think that optics wise it would have been better if he discussed that aspect later so it didn't come off as HVC noted as a distract.
Yeah he (Spacey) is getting a lot of flack for his response from likes of Dan Savage and others in Hollywood.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2017, 03:01:07 PM
In English the term "pederast" refers exclusively to the older person in male homosexual relationships between an older male and a younger - but the age of the younger can vary; may be teen-ager, for example.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty

"Pedophile" refers to a person who is sexually attracted to children, could be of either sex (or both). The term implies that the children be pre-pubescent.

So, while it may be the case that a "pederast" isn't committing a criminal act (if the younger partner is over the age of consent - which is possible), a "pedophile" who has sex with their preferred partner is always, without exception, committing a criminal act (at least, in civilized nations).

Same as in French for once, except for the shortened, mostly derogative (less so nowadays) form "pédé" which clearly means homosexual.
Éphébophile is used to mean attraction to adolescents, yet ephebe means adolescent male too.  :hmm:

Hebephilia is less used, too technical I guess.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2017, 05:03:04 PM
Quote from: dps on October 30, 2017, 05:01:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2017, 03:25:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
I think his point is that it feeds into negative perceptions of homosexuals to combine a response to sexual assault of a 14 year old and a coming out statement as a gay man in the same breath. Him being a gay man has little to do with the sexual assault as being a gay man != lusting after a 14 year old.

So he would have preferred that Spacey stay in the closet after the accusation?

Maybe.

I do think that optics wise it would have been better if he discussed that aspect later so it didn't come off as HVC noted as a distract.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure what else Spacey could have realistically said.  What was he going to do, lie about it and say, "Hey, I'm not even gay, if I was going to sexually assault a 14-year old, it would have been a 14-year old girl"?

Don't say anything.  End his statement after the first paragraph.

Yep
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Watched Maleficent again. Probably Jolie's best work from an incredibly average actress at best.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2017, 06:52:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 10, 2017, 01:39:10 PM
I actually like this show. :blush:

When I was visiting home, my niece was watching it, so I was forced to.

I enjoyed it as well, and am not ashamed to admit it.  :sleep:
I'm still watching it.

Today at work this chick gave me some pumpkin brownies she baked, and I actually said "I'm not getting the pumpkin." :blush:

She laughed... she's watched the show too so she totally got it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 30, 2017, 05:10:11 PM

Éphébophile is used to mean attraction to adolescents

Hebephilia is less used, too technical I guess.

Those terms exist in English, too, but are rarely, if ever, encountered outside of a clinical/technical usage.  In common English usage, "pedophile" means an adult who is attracted to people under the age of consent.

CountDeMoney

Pfft, I didn't know that the guy accusing Kevin Spacey of hitting on him when he was 14 was the blonde goof from Rent.  Hurl.  Fuck that guy.  Advantage:  Keyser Soze.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2017, 10:57:43 PM
Pfft, I didn't know that the guy accusing Kevin Spacey of hitting on him when he was 14 was the blonde goof from Rent.  Hurl.  Fuck that guy.  Advantage:  Keyser Soze.

He's also Lt. Stametz from Star Trek: Discovery.  He's awesome.  Fuck Frank Underwood.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2017, 11:01:50 PM

He's also Lt. Stametz from Star Trek: Discovery.  He's awesome.  Fuck Frank Underwood.

Eddie Teach

Anyone else remember Spacey saying the ghey rumors helped him pick up chicks?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

He was also in Adventures in Babysitting, Dazed and Confused amongst others.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on October 30, 2017, 11:37:15 PM

Who was he in D&C?  The cool pitcher that couldn't act?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2017, 11:50:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 30, 2017, 11:37:15 PM

Who was he in D&C?  The cool pitcher that couldn't act?
He was one of three friends (other was Adam Goldberg who gets in fight with guy at party, and the girl with ginger afro)

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, the lead singer from America.

katmai