And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

The Force Awakens has now sold more tickets in the USA than The Empire Strikes Back, becoming the second most successful Star Wars film.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 04:58:01 PM
The Martian - well done, although a bit flat in my opinion. But this genre doesn't really do it for me. I found the NASA shenanigans far more interesting than the actual survival stuff.

Also Damon's character is annoyingly smart. Did Ide write about this film?

A while back.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2016, 07:15:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 04:58:01 PM
The Martian - well done, although a bit flat in my opinion. But this genre doesn't really do it for me. I found the NASA shenanigans far more interesting than the actual survival stuff.

Also Damon's character is annoyingly smart. Did Ide write about this film?

A while back.

Welcome back Ide.  :hug:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

We seem to agree then. The film works, but it's more akin to watching fine-attuned machinery in motion, than human emotion.

And welcome.

Ideologue

I check in from time to time to see if everybody's ok.

It's a rather good but not great film, to be sure, and not even really enough of an experience that I think I'll ever really have an urgent desire to watch it again.

P.S. Hateful Eight was also pretty good.  Likewise not remotely great, and to me a pretty big disappointment (it's Tarantino's worst film in a walk).  But that's 2015 for you, the Year of Constant Disappointment.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Good to see you Ide.

Just watched The Martian myself. Liked it.

PS, I will never go to Mars.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

One of the movie channels was counterprogramming "The Godfather Saga."  Chronological version of GF 1 and 2, with 75 minutes of cut footage.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2016, 10:27:08 PM
One of the movie channels was counterprogramming "The Godfather Saga."  Chronological version of GF 1 and 2, with 75 minutes of cut footage.
HBO
And watching it right now. 7:10 run time :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 11, 2016, 02:47:02 AM
I just endured The Hateful 8.  Is there a director more taken with themselves and over indulgent than Tarantino now?  Damn. 2/7.5

Just watched it. I thought the movie was brilliantly made, but the characters were so despicable that I  have no desire to watch it again.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Season premiere of Billion.  Pissing contest between Paul Giamatti as the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York and Lt. Ginger from Band of Brothers as local boy made good hedge fund manager.  Holding my interest so far.

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2016, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 11, 2016, 02:47:02 AM
I just endured The Hateful 8.  Is there a director more taken with themselves and over indulgent than Tarantino now?  Damn. 2/7.5

Just watched it. I thought the movie was brilliantly made, but the characters were so despicable that I  have no desire to watch it again.

Hence the title  :D

[spoiler]I liked Mannix myself, though. He's the only one that attempts to become a moral person despite his past.[/spoiler]

Liep

Netflix are banning the use of VPNs in order to offer all content globally? :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk