And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 01:28:40 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2014, 01:25:20 PM
Seen that, didn't think much of it. Anything else?

There's that pretty bad movie with Al Pacino as a Revolutionary War soldier. :)

And the Mel Gibson one.  :lol:

So I guess I'm out of luck for quality Revolutionary War flicks?

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Hold on.  I think they did a movie version of the musical 1776.  Probably worth a peek.

Though you don't really strike me as  musical guy.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2014, 01:32:52 PM
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(film)

I always thought the snappy comeback to "I have not yet begun to fight" would be "well, isn't it about time you did?"  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

That line doesn't work that well when you surrender right afterwards.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 02:37:44 PM
That line doesn't work that well when you surrender right afterwards.

I was thinking more along the lines of a sarcastic aside by one of his own crew - presumably, among the half not yet lost.  ;) The Brits would of course not want him to 'begin to fight'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2014, 06:20:26 PMI like the Money Pit.

Man, I loved the Money Pit as a kid.  I remember it perfectly mapping onto the experience of my family's big move to the suburbs at the time, from an apartment to a house, and the immediate homeownership disasters that followed...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

I'm catching up on this thread, and I've got to say, Ide's not the only one with some BIG opinions about film to throw around.  :mad:

Me?  How this guy feels about movies?  Well I'll tell you something.

Listen up, cracker: you haven't got no 50s cinema worth the smelluloid it was printed on if you don't have Nicholas goddamn* Ray and Douglas mf'ing Sirk at the top of the list.  Those directors weren't afraid to make Life the subject of their films, to look straight at Life and say: 'I cannot portray this.'  Hence their masterpieces: Bigger Than Life and Imitation of Life.  With "In A Lonely Place," "Johnny Guitar," "Rebel Without A Cause," "Magnificent Obsession," "Written On The Wind," and "All That Heaven Allows" tossed off along the way. 

I'll pray for you, but if you keep muddling up your mind, tossing down a handful of silent pictures on a bellyful of mediocre sci-fi, all washed down with a tumbler full of 2010s superhero movies, and then getting behind the wheel of a film review... It's a recipe for disaster.

*Because when you use His name in a vulgar oath like "goddammit," you don't have to capitalize the goddamn "g."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 23, 2014, 03:59:56 PM
I'm catching up on this thread, and I've got to say, Ide's not the only one with some BIG opinions about film to throw around.  :mad:

Me?  How this guy feels about movies?  Well I'll tell you something.

Listen up, cracker: you haven't got no 50s cinema worth the smelluloid it was printed on if you don't have Nicholas goddamn* Ray and Douglas mf'ing Sirk at the top of the list.  Those directors weren't afraid to make Life the subject of their films, to look straight at Life and say: 'I cannot portray this.'  Hence their masterpieces: Bigger Than Life and Imitation of Life.  With "In A Lonely Place," "Johnny Guitar," "Rebel Without A Cause," "Magnificent Obsession," "Written On The Wind," and "All That Heaven Allows" tossed off along the way. 

I'll pray for you, but if you keep muddling up your mind, tossing down a handful of silent pictures on a bellyful of mediocre sci-fi, all washed down with a tumbler full of 2010s superhero movies, and then getting behind the wheel of a film review... It's a recipe for disaster.

*Because when you use His name in a vulgar oath like "goddammit," you don't have to capitalize the goddamn "g."

Well said, I don't understand/recognise much of it, but applaud your tilt at the prevailing 'consensus' here.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

I think he's trying to sound like some 50s tough guy or something. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

50s tough guys didn't swear. :unsure:

Sheilbh

I stand with CM.

He's right.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Superhero films are more fun than films about "Life".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2014, 04:49:23 PM
Superhero films are more fun than films about "Life".

I don't know, sometimes 'Life' can be more fun than a pile of superhero comics.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"