News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Actually I agree with a great deal of The Log's criticism of 70's movies; just that when he writes off the entire period he goes too far.

Ideologue

I'M NOT I'M JUST SAYING IT'S AN AGGREGATE DECLINE IN QUALITY VIS-A-VIS THE 1950S
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

That reads differently than your original TLDNR post.

mongers

Another 70s film in Ide's hollow period, that he'll do doubt dislike:  'Tommy' - it's the best rock opera, not saying much, but it's fun, fun visuals, fun casting, doesn't take itself seriously.

And since there's not speaking parts, it's genuinely a film of an opera.

Also Ann-Margret is brilliant. :wub:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Yi: Nuh-uh.

What I did not say:

"I believe with all my being that the period 67-76 was an infernal void packed with garbage thanks to New Hollywood directors and writers, and that every film to arise from that era is dominated by the unerringly terrible New Hollywood style."

What I did say:

I said:

"My non-expert impression of the period 67-76 is that it was a dark age, and that many films made from New Hollywood directors and writers in the New Hollywood style are lesser versions of themselves due to their newfound artistic freedom to fuck up, and their box office magic is attributable to the strange tastes of that era's audiences.  However, there are some triumphs even within this largely artistically unsuccessful form, like Apocalypse Now."

M: nah, man, Tommy's awesome.  Ken Russell's a mess of a director, but he's done truly great things.  I don't want to say definitively that Tommy is one of them because I haven't seen it in years, but I certainly recall this being the case.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2014, 06:54:24 PM
Another 70s film in Ide's hollow period, that he'll do doubt dislike:  'Tommy' - it's the best rock opera, not saying much, but it's fun, fun visuals, fun casting, doesn't take itself seriously.

I liked Tina Turner as The Acid Queen.  Otherwise I'd rather just listen to the album again; especially since Oliver Reed's singing is awful.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on September 22, 2014, 07:03:35 PM

I liked Tina Turner as The Acid Queen.  Otherwise I'd rather just listen to the album again; especially since Oliver Reed's singing is awful.

Oddly I prefer the soundtrack album, I'm listening to it now, rather than the original Who album. I think you can ignore Oliver Reed, because Ann-Margret is the real bonus, talented lady.
I also like the different/extended versions and some of the new songs too. YMMV.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2014, 07:14:19 PM

Bleh.

I liked her best in "The Villain".

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2014, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2014, 12:53:41 PM
I thought Network was contrived pap.
It's fun. But it's a play made into a movie, and a Brechtian play at that.

Edit: Also what comes after neo-classicism? The high camp Hollywood of the 80s?

I watched it for the first time when I was older.  Throughout the film I kept imagining a young and impressionable Rupert Murdoch watching it in the theater thinking; "This is brilliant, one day I'm going to start a network just like this."

The only part I didn't like about the film was how all emotion was expressed by ranting, raving and shouting; especially Robert Duvall's character.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 22, 2014, 07:26:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2014, 07:14:19 PM

Bleh.

I liked her best in "The Villain".

I was blehing at Tommy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I like the song "Pinball Wizard".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

What kind of scent does a metal, glass, and plastic apparatus give off?
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2014, 08:33:52 PM
What kind of scent does a metal, glass, and plastic apparatus give off?

Check your ABC.