News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I'll still probably watch it.  At home.  In the dark. :shifty:  It is getting an NC-17, right?  It'd be kinda pointless if it didn't.

Actually, if I'm dating someone that wants to watch it, I guess that would be a qualified win, but obviously this wouldn't be one I went to go see solo.

I did go watch Lucy (2014) solo.  I watch this crap instead of catching up with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, I guess. <_<   Lucy is a movie that uses only 10% of its cinematic capacity, and I've graded it accordingly.

Turn on, tune in, and drop out of the audience quietly to see if you can get your money back

D+

Also Forbidden Planet (1956).  Absurdly long, though.  Could've cut a bit, but hardly enough to matter, so said fuck it.

Twisted Eden

I did upgrade it to an A+.  There's a lot of weird shit going on in Planet, and very little not to absolutely love.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2014, 10:39:58 PM
There's a lot of weird shit going on in Planet, and very little not to absolutely love.

Of course.  It's Shakespeare In Space.  How cool is that?

Ideologue

Did The Tempest have such an ugly view of human sexuality?  It's been a very long while.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I'll have to see Planet again, it's been a while, and sometimes you're off in left field shagging lazy deep flies with some of your interpretations. 
Although in The Tempest, Miranda was more of a political object than a sexual one, and there wasn't nearly as much over-the-top innuendo and misogyny as, say, Hamlet.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2014, 06:46:53 PM
You do :contract:

I thought about doing it tonight, but instead I watched Godzilla vs. Gigan. :P
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Lucy has a lot of similar stuff to the script I'm writing. So I'm happy that a) it makes money while b) it's seemingly awful.

Admiral Yi

Do I get a credit if my line makes the final edit?

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 02:18:00 AM
Lucy has a lot of similar stuff to the script I'm writing. So I'm happy that a) it makes money while b) it's seemingly awful.

Well, similar stuff has been done a million jillion times and been perfectly great, so it's not necessarily a knock on your joint.  (Er, neither is saying it's been done a million jillion times--it's just superheroics with a bit of profundity added, and we all love that.)  I wish you luck.  Hopefully your profundities at least scan as meaningful, your action and suspense scenes have any inherent tension, and your lead actor does not power down a third of the way through the picture. :D
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2014, 02:19:11 AM
Do I get a credit if my line makes the final edit?

What line was that?  "Emily Blunt has sharp elbows"?
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 02:52:37 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 02:18:00 AM

Well, similar stuff has been done a million jillion times and been perfectly great, so it's not necessarily a knock on your joint.  (Er, neither is saying it's been done a million jillion times--it's just superheroics with a bit of profundity added, and we all love that.)  I wish you luck.  Hopefully your profundities at least scan as meaningful, your action and suspense scenes have any inherent tension, and your lead actor does not power down a third of the way through the picture. :D

We'll see, it's indeed a superhero story, with a prominent female lead that's seemingly unstoppable early on - except she's the villain in my story*. I like how it's coming along, so seeing the trailers for Lucy sort of deflated me a bit.

I also have to somehow fit it to the budgets the people I'm working with can realistically raise, which is about half what Lucy costed :D

*She's an engineer.

Ideologue

If you can't afford Lucy's CGI, it could easily wind up a better movie. :P

And engineers are heroes. :angry:  WINGS OVER THE WORLD.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 02:53:05 AM

I gave Celery Ring a selection of top-notch, authentic American oaths to choose from.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2014, 03:49:22 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 02:53:05 AM

I gave Celery Ring a selection of top-notch, authentic American oaths to choose from.

I used those in another project (a horror flick), for a company in Barcelona. They wanted it in English, with American characters (hence my need for authentic American swearing), since they want to raise American cash.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2014, 06:36:57 PM

49th Parallel (I'm most looking forward to Olivier's legendary attempt at a French-Canadian accent, of which a taster here: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/237780/49th-Parallel-Movie-Clip-Trapper-

I laughed. :)

[spoiler]Maudit quoi? Maudit croissant?[/spoiler]

Viking

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2014, 09:44:35 PM
Well recall that 50 Shades was birthed as fan fiction for Twilight.

Well at least EL James understood how perverted Twilight was....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.