News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I watched The World's End over the weekend.  I need to watch it again at some point to make a final decision, but I'd say it's the weakest of the trilogy.  Nothing comes close to Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz kinda grew on me after a while.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Alpha House, I like it. Despite being a show about republicans they manage to avoid humiliating the characters for cheap laughs. It manages to to be funny while retaining the dignity of the main characters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2014, 01:09:14 AM
The Spy Who Loved Me (19757).   Consider it.  It features a Bond girl played by an attractive young woman who does an excellent job impersonating someone who hasn't a clue about acting

Oh yeah and did i tell you about the SETS?  WOW! Paper mache hooray!

Fixed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

I forget- Is The Spy Who Loved Me the one where Roger Moore rogers the girl young enough to be his granddaughter, or the one where he rogers the girl ugly enough to be his daughter?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on January 29, 2014, 06:55:45 PM
I forget- Is The Spy Who Loved Me the one where Roger Moore rogers the girl young enough to be his granddaughter, or the one where he rogers the girl ugly enough to be his daughter?

For Your Eyes Only is the one where he has a teenage ice skater throwing herself at him(He actually turns her down though).

The love interest in The Spy Who Loved Me is Catherine Bach.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2014, 06:34:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2014, 01:09:14 AM
The Spy Who Loved Me (19757).   Consider it.  It features a Bond girl played by an attractive young woman who does an excellent job impersonating someone who hasn't a clue about acting

Oh yeah and did i tell you about the SETS?  WOW! Paper mache hooray!

Fixed.

That's a fair assessment of Catherine Bach, but there's a lot of sheet metal in those Ken Adam sets. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Ack. It's Barbara Bach. That picture is her though.

Ideologue

I knew that sounded wrong.  Well, it doesn't matter. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Spy Who Loved Me is the one I got in trouble for when my mom found out I went to see it at the theatre against her instructions.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Did she have a fundamentally unsound view of the production designer's art also?
Kinemalogue

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on January 29, 2014, 06:55:45 PM

no, it's the one where he rogers more....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 03:37:52 PM
Quote from: Scipio on January 28, 2014, 02:48:32 PM
If all reboots were at the level of 1992's Last of the Mohicans, there would be nothing to bitch about.
Everything but the last 8 mints of Last of the Mohicans: boring
Last 8 minutes of Last of the Mohicans: one of the best scenes ever
And you said derspeiss was culturally illiterate?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

What's the deal with Jason Statham movies?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2014, 03:04:44 PM
What's the deal with Jason Statham movies?

Action on the cheap.