And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2011, 10:24:12 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 20, 2011, 10:20:39 AM
"While control of the entire border will be difficult, the rebels are reported to have a large force in the region," it said. "The Niger and Morocco border crossings remain under Gadhafi control."

Meh how hard could it be to patrol the Morocco-Libyan border?
Heh, since the two nations don't share a border!  Obviously has to be a typo.

DGuller

Maybe Morocco used the distraction to do some annexations in the region. :unsure:

alfred russel

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out--especially to Berkut--that this is exactly the type of clusterfuck that made intervention a terrible idea. This is the one of the worst scenarios that could have developed: a stalemate where you have active violence, no effective government in the country, and international business severely disrupted (which for a small country like Libya is crucial). 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on May 20, 2011, 10:43:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2011, 10:24:12 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 20, 2011, 10:20:39 AM
"While control of the entire border will be difficult, the rebels are reported to have a large force in the region," it said. "The Niger and Morocco border crossings remain under Gadhafi control."

Meh how hard could it be to patrol the Morocco-Libyan border?
Heh, since the two nations don't share a border!  Obviously has to be a typo.

? Typo? Remember, this is Ghaddafi/Kaddafi/Qusaffi etc. we are talking about, typos are a Zionist plot.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2011, 10:47:44 AM
Maybe Morocco used the distraction to do some annexations in the region. :unsure:

Hmm, something does appear to be a bit off about the 2011 map of the region, but I just can't put my finger on it... :unsure:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Mr.Penguin

Latest battle report...

Btw, it appears that it was the RAF that took out the ships in Tripoli and Al-Khums, while the French hit Surt...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

HVC

breakfast meals are in shortage? what the hell?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

I was going to make a joke about food insecurity, but I think I will pass for now.

I agree that we should just drop the bullshit figleaf about protecting civilians. If we are going to whack on Qadaffi's forces, lets just do it and quit pretending we are doing anything else.

Pretending otherwise just ties our hands, since it means we have to only whack stuff we can pretend has some connection to "attacking civilians". Lets just state outright that we are supporting the rebels and their removal of the current government and be done with it.

The Atlantic has a great article about the ME revolutions this month. Thanks a bunch Yi for the sub - I have really enjoyed it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on May 20, 2011, 12:07:12 PM
Cinnamon Toast Crunch reserves are critically low. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2011, 01:21:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 20, 2011, 12:07:12 PM
Cinnamon Toast Crunch reserves are critically low. :(

Can't they just suck it up & have some of last night's leftover pizza as ersatz breakfast, like I did the other day??  :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

A Western tank battalion would roll up Gaddafi's forces in hours. It's time for the whole Gaddafi clan to go, they'll be nuttier than squirrel shit if they manage to hang onto power. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Sending American boys to do what African boys are doing ineptly for themselves? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on May 20, 2011, 10:55:22 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out--especially to Berkut--that this is exactly the type of clusterfuck that made intervention a terrible idea. This is the one of the worst scenarios that could have developed: a stalemate where you have active violence, no effective government in the country, and international business severely disrupted (which for a small country like Libya is crucial).

Yeah, I had a feeling it would turn out like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

don't use the 'murricans, send an egyptian armor division in Monty's footsteps, the foreign legion from chad and the tunisian army to tripoli once the fighting is done.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Mr.Penguin

Come on, we all know this is what we want to see down in the Libyan dessert...

German Panzergrenadiers...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers