News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
Why don't the other Arab powers or the African Union deal with this?  Why does everything around the world have to be America and Europe's problem?  Can't China, the premier colonizer of Africa today, get in on this, instead?
It would be hilarious if the Chinese stepped in and intervened.  I can't imagine how we'd react to something like that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 06:49:34 PM
It would be hilarious if the Chinese stepped in and intervened.  I can't imagine how we'd react to something like that.
We'd be really, really impressed that they managed to fly Mig 21s all the way to Libya.

Caliga

They could always shoot ballistic missiles from their subs. :)

JonasSalk

Damn, almost like a real war.  I wonder what the casualty toll is.  Are we talking a few hundred guys each time, or something more significant?  I mean, I know the Gadaffi army is relatively small at only about 50,000 or so.
Yuman

Admiral Yi

I haven't heard or seen anything resembling an order of battle.  Anyone else not named Mongers?

Caliga

@JonasSalk Funny you should say that, as it looks like they are getting ready to rename the "2011 Libyan uprising" article on Wikipedia to "Libyan Civil War".  Also, from looking at the Wiki article, the death toll estimate seems to range from 1,000-10,000 total right now.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2011, 06:56:24 PM
I haven't heard or seen anything resembling an order of battle.  Anyone else not named Mongers?

Only thing I've seen is that each son has his own security unit, sized from a battalion to a brigade. Haven't really seen hard number of African mercs or how the Libyan army shook out. Just that Mummar's boys have plenty of heavy weapons and AFV's at their disposal.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Also, from the Wiki article (obviously taken with a grain of salt since it's Wikipedia) it seems Egypt has quietly gotten involved with the rebels.  Not surprising I guess, since IIRC Egypt and (Gadhafi's) Libya have had a pretty hostile relationship for quite a while now.

A civil war with all this foreign involvement reminds me of the Spanish Civil War. :cool: LOL will Gadhafi: crush them like Franco.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:02:41 PM
A civil war with all this foreign involvement reminds me of the Spanish Civil War. :cool: LOL will Gadhafi: crush them like Franco.
Gadhafi doesn't have any friends like Franco did.:contract:

Caliga

Yes he does.  Chavez will send: El Condor Legion. :)

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:02:41 PM

Franco was the rebel.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
I forgot all about him.  Wouldn't that be fascinating if he sent some boys over?

JonasSalk

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 06:56:58 PM
@JonasSalk Funny you should say that, as it looks like they are getting ready to rename the "2011 Libyan uprising" article on Wikipedia to "Libyan Civil War".  Also, from looking at the Wiki article, the death toll estimate seems to range from 1,000-10,000 total right now.

Yeah, according to conflicting articles, the Libyan military's strength is either 119,000 active personnel (Military of Libya page) or 10,000-12,000 (Al Jazeera estimate from the 2011 Libyan Uprising page).

So what the fuck.  Did the Libyan military shrink to 1/10th its size?
Yuman

Admiral Yi

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 07:29:03 PM
Yeah, according to conflicting articles, the Libyan military's strength is either 119,000 active personnel (Military of Libya page) or 10,000-12,000 (Al Jazeera estimate from the 2011 Libyan Uprising page).

So what the fuck.  Did the Libyan military shrink to 1/10th its size?
It's very concievable that the conscript portion disbanded themselves in the Iraqi fashion.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2011, 07:14:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
I forgot all about him.  Wouldn't that be fascinating if he sent some boys over?

We could interdict them.  Before they left.  :)