News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

We have recovered...sorta

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 05, 2011, 12:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2011, 11:26:17 AM
:wacko:  How much of that did you just make up Moldy?

Nah, he's got a point.  Generally, you need to be able to recover data in the instance of a failure, or you need to prevent the failure altogether.  Trying to do both is overkill unless you're working with material that's both secure and meant to be time-sensitive (like ordering information handled by a shopping web site).
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 06, 2011, 12:37:09 PM
Nah, he's got a point.  Generally, you need to be able to recover data in the instance of a failure, or you need to prevent the failure altogether.  Trying to do both is overkill unless you're working with material that's both secure and meant to be time-sensitive (like ordering information handled by a shopping web site).
I wasn't doubting Moldy's competence.  He has a crew cut and plays with cinder blocks for Chrisake.  I was mocking my own unfamiliarity with computer jargon.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2011, 12:54:56 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 06, 2011, 12:37:09 PM
I wasn't doubting Moldy's competence.  He has a crew cut and plays with cinder blocks for Chrisake.  I was mocking my own unfamiliarity with computer jargon.

Do you feel you receive too little mocking as is?  :huh:

MadImmortalMan

A 2U slot for $50 sounds good. It cost me a little over $5k to colo a bladecenter.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

I Killed Kenny

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 06, 2011, 11:17:39 AM
A straight mirror as the only hedge against hardware failure, I agree.  With regular off-machine image backups though I don't think a full-on RAID is necessary.  Plus, LVM2 is pretty damn good.
A straight mirror slows things down, though probably not enough for us to notice (I was thinking more of the other things you are doing with your server) and I think you really should be looking at server drives (like the WD 10k drives with a MTBF in excess of a million hours.

I guess my point was that, if you want to keep a server going yourself, and need some financials from us to make that possible, that is something we should be able to do and, frankly, owe to you after all the free time and service you have provided.

If you want to dump the system and colocate the server in a server farm, that's fine as well.  We should pick up some of that cost, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

grumbler is correct on both counts.  Consumer drives are not the way to go. 
PDH!

Kleves

I'm glad the forum is back. I almost went to Paradox to see what was up.  :yuk:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

lustindarkness

I am also willing to start back up the "Twelve Pound Club".
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 07, 2011, 02:17:54 AM
I am also willing to start back up the "Twelve Pound Club".
All we need is a word from the man!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Glad to see it is back ... I also think a financial contribution from us is in order. If someone else arranges the mechanism, I'll contribute.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

What do I get for two dollars?  Anything I want? :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I paid for the domain twice, I ain't ever paying for you guys ever again.

I'm joking, I'd pay it again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Gen Wolfe can cover my part then.
PDH!