And we're back!

Main Menu

What qualifies as business casual?

Started by Faeelin, April 22, 2010, 01:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Me too! We can be twins.
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2010, 02:51:17 PM
My office is described as business casual; right now I'm wearing a short sleeved button down shirt, dark slacks, and black socks and dress shoes.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Our office is business casual, and I am wearing a short sleeve button down shirt, and blue jeans.

But you know, they are nice blue jeans!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Our office officially went from business casual to casual last fall.  Kinda nice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Not whitewashed jeans with holes in the knee? :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2010, 03:22:22 PM
I am wearing a short sleeve button down shirt
OMG FAST FOOD MANAGER!  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2010, 03:22:22 PM
Our office is business casual, and I am wearing a short sleeve button down shirt, and blue jeans.

But you know, they are nice blue jeans!

I think that's "Texas casual."  At least with a hat and boots.

Iormlund

My department has an absolute lack of dressing code, which is great. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt today (gets hot in the evening). The obvious exception is field work, since safety clothing and gear might be necessary (and is usually convenient). For meetings with important clients I tend to wear shirt and shoes, but only if I feel like it.

Sheilbh

Our office is relatively business.  Smart trousers, shirt - only salespeople need ties or coats though.

No rules for women though, so far as I can see.  They wear whatever they want <_<

Personally I like it.  I think it's good for differentiating work from life.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Our office is casual, not business casual.  So I'm wearing blue jeans and a plaid long sleeve button-down shirt.  I do have a suit, and a set of robes, to change into when needed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Faeelin

Incidentally, are thin ties okay or not okay?

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on April 22, 2010, 06:52:39 PM

They're going to be noticeable.  No one will say it's "not okay", but you might be known as the "student with the skinny ties".

That being said, I don't know if you want to take fashion advice from a Yukon lawyer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Faeelin on April 22, 2010, 06:52:39 PM

Only if they look like they have piano keys on them.

Jaron

Quote from: Iormlund on April 22, 2010, 04:54:57 PM
My department has an absolute lack of dressing code, which is great. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt today (gets hot in the evening). The obvious exception is field work, since safety clothing and gear might be necessary (and is usually convenient). For meetings with important clients I tend to wear shirt and shoes, but only if I feel like it.

So you meet some clients without a shirt and shoes on? :huh:

I'd expect that from derspiess but not from you.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on April 22, 2010, 07:20:52 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 22, 2010, 04:54:57 PM

So you meet some clients without a shirt and shoes on? :huh:

I'd expect that from derspiess but not from you.

It seems to me that if he "feels like it", he shouldn't wear a shirt to send the correct message.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.