News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

common recurring dreams

Started by Josephus, April 22, 2010, 11:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

OK...I thought I would start a thread, based on recent comments in Off Topic, about common recurring dreams. We can talk about them here, and maybe there's some dreams we think we are alone in having but others have to.

In additon to the school, failed exams, lost schedule ones--there are two dreams I have often. Wondering if you have them as well.

1. The bathroom dream. I often dream I have to use the bathroom, but every bathroom I can find is filthy beyond belief. Toilets unflushed or backing up when I flush. That sort of thing.

2. The car dream. I often dream that I'm backing out of my driveway but my breaks don't work, so now I'm reversing down my street, avoiding other cars, but unable to stop.

Any of you have similar dreams? Any other types of common, recurring dreams.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grallon

Quote from: Josephus on April 22, 2010, 11:06:28 AM

Common symbols perhaps - Jung called them archetypes - but such dreams are highly personal.  They're usually messages from the subconscious.

Personally throughout my childhood I've had variations on the same theme: the house where I grew up (by a lake) was getting flooded, drowned, overwhelmed by a tsunami wave... well you get the picture.

For many years I hadn't had that kind of dreams and, coincidally, I had another instance of that dream last night...  Keep in mind I haven't lived in that house for 25 years...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

I've had many recurring dreams.

In addition to the good old exam anxiety standby, there is one which I've had off and on for many years (with variations), and which never fails to unnerve me.

I dream that I'm compelled to go downstairs into the basement of the house I grew up in. Only, in this basement, the rooms keep going on for miles and miles - dusty, ill-lit by tiny cobwebbed windows at the top of the walls. I can't find the way back out. I feel a dread comming up through the floor, like malevolent dead people are buried there. The smell of damp, rot, and dust is getting worse and worse the further I wander.

Finally, I see a way out - a big window in a closet filled with old clothes, with sunlight shining through. I push through the old clothes to get to the window. As I do this, the window shutters slam shut, and so does the door behind me; all is darkness. The smell of rot and damp increases tenfold and pushing through the clothes gets harder and harder. Then, the clothes seem to come alive and wind around my body, tighter and tighter until I'm wrapped up like a mummy in them, no matter how hard I struggle; then they start, slowly, to force their way into my mouth, choking me. 

At this point I wake up.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Often when I'm feeling under pressure I dream that I am murdering katmai with my bare hands. At the moment of climax though I always wake up to a profound sense of disappointment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

I have never had recurring dreams per se, but I do have some recurrent themes, or theme. almost every dream I have, I'm looking for something or someone... and traveling somewhere for this reason, most often walking or on a train. Last night my dreams took place on "Pandora" :bleeding: I woke up feeling like an asshole for being so pedestrian.

Usually my dreams take place in the small town where I was a kid or in a magical noir-ish place that is an amalgamation of San-Fransisco and Winnipeg.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 22, 2010, 12:32:07 PM
a magical noir-ish place that is an amalgamation of San-Fransisco and Winnipeg.

:blink:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I have a recoccuring dream where there are hidden doors in walls only i can see that transport you to other rooms. i don't know ahead of time which doors lead where.

the only other one i have is that i failed OAC English (old grade 13 in ontario) and i have to redo it now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

My variation of the "missing an exam" dream is that I had slept in and skipped the class, only to realize too late that there had been an exam.  Since that actually happened on one occasion, it always feels real.

Also used to have that dream where you show up to school naked (in my case I was always missing my pajama bottoms), but I haven't had that one since junior high.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2010, 12:35:54 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 22, 2010, 12:32:07 PM
a magical noir-ish place that is an amalgamation of San-Fransisco and Winnipeg.

:blink:
That would be very noir indeed.

Josquius

I always seem to have odd dreams about short cuts.
I suddenly notice that somewhere I previously thought was on the other side of town can actually be got to in 5 minutes by going through a fence somewhere. It makes no logical spatial sense but...yeah.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2010, 12:24:58 PM
At the moment of climax though I always wake up to a profound sense of disappointment.

Oh boy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

1. The bathroom dream. I often dream I have to use the bathroom, but every bathroom I can find is filthy beyond belief. Toilets unflushed or backing up when I flush. That sort of thing.

Yep. Though my problem is often finding a bathroom that's unoccupied or a stall that isn't completely out in the open. Rows of toilets with no dividers or just the flimsy ones they put between urinals.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

usually, I dream I'm getting killed in one way or another.  I once dreamt of the same girl killing me 3 days in a row.

While I was attending university, and a couples of years after that, I used to have the classic "miss an exam" dream.  It happened to me once in College, so I suppose it's not a dream.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2010, 02:01:25 PM

Yep. Though my problem is often finding a bathroom that's unoccupied or a stall that isn't completely out in the open. Rows of toilets with no dividers or just the flimsy ones they put between urinals.

The AntiMart has arisen! :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2010, 02:06:07 PM

usually, I dream I'm getting killed in one way or another.  I once dreamt of the same girl killing me 3 days in a row.

The subconscious indeed...  :P 

It's fun to check the symbolism behind those dreams - and can be instructive.  Take Malthus' basement for instance; what dirty secrets are you hiding there counsel?  :D

Or myself with the house (the dreamer's persona) being overwhelmed by water (emotions)...

Or Vip being murdered by women...

I can't wait to read what Marty or Garbon have to report!  :lol:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel