And we're back!

Main Menu

Eight Reasons America Is On Edge

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 06:44:33 PM
Do you think it's possible Bush favored whites over others?

Sure, it's possible.  Can't think of any evidence, but it's possible.

Can you think of any evidence that Obama favors blacks over others?

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2010, 01:09:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 06:44:33 PM
Do you think it's possible Bush favored whites over others?

Sure, it's possible.  Can't think of any evidence, but it's possible.

City of New Orleans.

:tinfoil:

Razgovory

I found out that smilie is named after me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 21, 2010, 04:19:27 PM
Yeah, I don't really think so, Shelf. This shit is mostly about economics. If there are any race-haters, it's just fringe dudes trying to piggyback on the events the same way that commie party supported by North Korea does at Obama rallies and WTO protests.
If it was about economics it would have started some time in the Bush Administration, at the very least in October.  And I reject entirely that the tea partiers are mostly about economics I've watched a few speeches at tea parties.  The biggest lines are anti-abortion and foreign policy.  Economics was the catalyst of a far wider movement.

Though of course as I've said I don't think they're all racists but that is an element of the protests.  This seems to me like left-wingers denying that anti-Americanism played a part in the anti-war protests in the run up to Iraq.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 22, 2010, 01:35:58 AM
Can you think of any evidence that Obama favors blacks over others?

His entire time as a community organizer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2010, 02:42:28 PM
If it was about economics it would have started some time in the Bush Administration, at the very least in October. 

The whole thing started in response to the TARP bill Bush signed. 

QuoteAnd I reject entirely that the tea partiers are mostly about economics I've watched a few speeches at tea parties.  The biggest lines are anti-abortion and foreign policy.  Economics was the catalyst of a far wider movement.

I think you're seeing what you want to see.  The core of the movement has always been economic libertarian in nature.  The rallies didn't spike around April 15th out of sheer coincidence.  There are others trying to piggy-back on the movement with their own pet issues, as MiM mentioned, and that is providing some fodder for critics.

Also, it is not really a unified movement, so individual rallies are going to vary to some degree.

Personally, I think the movement proved its point long ago & needs to redirect its energy.  I'm not really a fan of permanent protest movements.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2010, 04:20:29 PM
The whole thing started in response to the TARP bill Bush signed. 
The reaction, perhaps, started then.  The protests started after Obama came in and the identification of Tea Partiers starting after Rick Santelli's tantrum.

QuoteI think you're seeing what you want to see.  The core of the movement has always been economic libertarian in nature.  The rallies didn't spike around April 15th out of sheer coincidence.  There are others trying to piggy-back on the movement with their own pet issues, as MiM mentioned, and that is providing some fodder for critics.

Also, it is not really a unified movement, so individual rallies are going to vary to some degree.
I agree on the latter point.  But I think part of its free-wheeling nature is that it's become a movement for wider conservative dissatisfaction and anger.  So it's not just economics.  As I say certainly at the 'Tea Party Conference' which was an attempt to make money on the movement and, to some extent, to make it cohere.  There the big issues were social and foreign policy, not economics.  So I don't think you can clarify an un-unified, disparate movement as being essentially economically libertarian.

QuotePersonally, I think the movement proved its point long ago & needs to redirect its energy.  I'm not really a fan of permanent protest movements.
I like protests and I think they're generally rather useful.  The danger is that they become perceived as being dominated by their most extreme elements - which is always a danger (and an easy target) with protest movements.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 08:35:03 PM
Is Obama really oblivious of the fear he inspires in part of the electorate?

You're an idiot.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2010, 05:05:00 AM

You're an idiot.
For disagreeing with Fineman?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2010, 05:24:09 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2010, 05:05:00 AM

You're an idiot.
For disagreeing with Fineman?

You're an idiot on general principle.

CountDeMoney

Oh, and for the record--since I don't feel like addressing every post in this thread--the recent phenomenons of teabaggers and right wing nuts are all about racism and sore losing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 21, 2010, 10:08:40 AM
This thread is an example of why we can't have nice things.

Goddamned right you can't.  You'd just fuck it up and put 22" spinners on it anyway.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 21, 2010, 07:24:02 PM
He's tired of all the age jokes, so he's going to ignore half of the forum.
I am?  :huh:  Didn't know that.  I didn't know I was going to ignore anyone, for that matter (DGuller is the ostentatious ignorer).

The "grumbler is so old he was a _____ at the battle of _____" meme is funny.  It doesn't bother me a bit (just like the "tackling" meme shouldn't bother Marti) . Some people run memes into the ground, but that also doesn't bother me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2010, 07:04:11 PM
Fate/Raz rule, remember?
Actually it's the Fate-Alexandru Rule.  Raz sometimes says silly shit, but so do a lot of people.  I have never even considered adding Raz to Teh Rule(TM).

Fate and Alexandru are Ruled because they both contribute to political threads (or really any thread involving controversial topics like politics, race, religion, etc.) mainly by adding throwaway comments that aren't funny, insightful, or of any use to anyone.  Some people still feed their trolling for some strange reason, but I'm just trying to help all y'all bitches out by continually pointing it out (my latest tactic is to post pictures of television static, since that's what their posting equates to in my mind).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 23, 2010, 06:40:03 AM
I am?  :huh:  Didn't know that.  I didn't know I was going to ignore anyone, for that matter (DGuller is the ostentatious ignorer).

You do ignore Fate, well kinda. I was just fishing for a reason you might want to extend the same treatment to Raz, that's all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?