News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eight Reasons America Is On Edge

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 05:10:55 PM
Incidentally, what I don't get is why so many of these teaparty types seem to look back to the past as some sort of tax eldorado? I mean, in 1960s, wasn't the highest tax bracket in its 80%s?
They're looking farther in the past than that, before 1913 to be exact.  Gilded Age was a wonderful time in their minds.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 10:10:16 AM
Curious thing is, Berkut really enjoyed banging the race drum back in 2008.  He love to quote Rev. Write.  GOD DAMN AMERICA!  I asked him on this board if he thought Obama was a racist and he said he didn't know.  But that didn't stop him from bring up the Rev Write thing every chance he got.
How the hell is that banging the race drum? :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2010, 05:26:27 PM
Curious thing is, Berkut really enjoyed banging the race drum back in 2008.  He love to quote Rev. Write.  GOD DAMN AMERICA!  I asked him on this board if he thought Obama was a racist and he said he didn't know.  But that didn't stop him from bring up the Rev Write thing every chance he got.

Obama is a racist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2010, 05:14:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 05:10:55 PM
Incidentally, what I don't get is why so many of these teaparty types seem to look back to the past as some sort of tax eldorado? I mean, in 1960s, wasn't the highest tax bracket in its 80%s?
They're looking farther in the past than that, before 1913 to be exact.  Gilded Age was a wonderful time in their minds.

Would you like some more rat hair with your rancid canned meat?  The funny thing is, there were lots of regulations and tariffs and government involved in business then too.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 06:08:17 PM
Obama is a racist.

I think "I don't know" is a pretty reasonable answer.  I don't necessarily think Obama hates white people, but given that he was a community activist for most of his adult life, it's possible that he favors blacks over others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 06:34:43 PM
I think "I don't know" is a pretty reasonable answer.  I don't necessarily think Obama hates white people, but given that he was a community activist for most of his adult life, it's possible that he favors blacks over others.

Do you think it's possible Bush favored whites over others?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on April 21, 2010, 06:48:19 PM
Snobs?

Nah. I think it is sassy black women...especially if they got junk in the trunk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2010, 05:26:27 PM
Fate/Raz rule, remember?

Besides, it was racist to always talk about Rev. Write and completely ignore Father Read and Rabbi 'Rithmatic..
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Settle down gramps.  You are mistaking me for someone else.

Eddie Teach

He's tired of all the age jokes, so he's going to ignore half of the forum.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 21, 2010, 07:24:02 PM
He's tired of all the age jokes, so he's going to ignore half of the forum.

Probably.  Though I bet he was flattered when Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner based a skit on him and made him younger.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 06:44:33 PM

Sure, it's possible.  Can't think of any evidence, but it's possible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 06:44:33 PM

Sure, it's possible.  Can't think of any evidence, but it's possible.

City of New Orleans.