News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eight Reasons America Is On Edge

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 21, 2010, 12:27:07 PM
You quoted Fate but your response was to Guller.

Oh right, I used him as a living example that yes, the left has their share of crazies who like to use terms like "nigger" as well. Not really a violation of the spirit of the Fate rule, I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 01:35:30 PM
Not really a violation of the spirit of the Fate rule, I think.

Slippery, meet slope.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 08:23:09 AM
It isn't about race, except to the extent that his fanbois try to excuse any criticism of him by playing up his race. Thank god he doesn't think his race is nearly as important as you do.
I think at least some of it - among the guys with 'Don't Tread on Me' signs, carrying guns - is about race and among some of the tea partiers too I imagine.  I think saying race has nothing to do is absurd.  It would be truly remarkable, post-racial America's immaculate conception.  But I don't equate those guys with general opposition or unhappiness with Obama and I didn't ever equate the extreme with opposition to Bush either. 

There is a moderate sensible opposition that was tarred with 'MoveOnism' (not that many people here cared) and ignored.  I think that's what some on the left are trying to do now with their opposition.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2010, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 08:23:09 AM
It isn't about race, except to the extent that his fanbois try to excuse any criticism of him by playing up his race. Thank god he doesn't think his race is nearly as important as you do.
I think at least some of it - among the guys with 'Don't Tread on Me' signs, carrying guns - is about race and among some of the tea partiers too I imagine.  I think saying race has nothing to do is absurd.  It would be truly remarkable, post-racial America's immaculate conception.  But I don't equate those guys with general opposition or unhappiness with Obama and I didn't ever equate the extreme with opposition to Bush either. 

I was specifically remarking about Raz claim that the criticism leveled in the OP were all about race. They did not mention his race at all.

And like I pointed out - saying the criticism of Obama is racial is missing the point. Is there some facet of racism? I am sure there is - is it important? Probably not - had Obama been white, but otherwise identical, he would still be vilified by the Tea Partyers out there. Being a nice white boy didn't get Clinton a free pass from the right wing crazies.

There is a moderate sensible opposition that was tarred with 'MoveOnism' (not that many people here cared) and ignored.  I think that's what some on the left are trying to do now with their opposition.

Of course - it is what both sides do. In fact, I suspect that there are plenty of Dems who get down on their knees every night and thank whatever god they worship that there are some crazies out there they can respond to, so they can ignore the actual debate.

Which is precisely the point of responses like Razs. Simply dismiss any criticism as being about race. Play that race card, and play it again and again and again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 03:41:27 PM
And like I pointed out - saying the criticism of Obama is racial is missing the point. Is there some facet of racism? I am sure there is - is it important? Probably not - had Obama been white, but otherwise identical, he would still be vilified by the Tea Partyers out there. Being a nice white boy didn't get Clinton a free pass from the right wing crazies.
Clinton wasn't a nice white boy.  He was a draft-dodging pot-smoking, hippy with a dash of corruption - which were cultural things that could touch off a reaction as strongly as race, in my opinion (I think Bush's 'Jesus is my favourite philosopher' is the sort-of counterpoint).

Plus I think there's an attitude of 'where's our country gone?' to a lot of the more extreme protests which to me seems like what you'd expect from some people who're just not terribly comfortable with a black President.

QuoteOf course - it is what both sides do. In fact, I suspect that there are plenty of Dems who get down on their knees every night and thank whatever god they worship that there are some crazies out there they can respond to, so they can ignore the actual debate.

Which is precisely the point of responses like Razs. Simply dismiss any criticism as being about race. Play that race card, and play it again and again and again.
Okay.  But this doesn't mean we get to say there's no racial element (we don't get to play the 'playing the race card' card, as it were) and dismiss that without thought.  Because that's as lazy, in its way, as what Raz says.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2010, 03:26:30 PM
I think at least some of it - among the guys with 'Don't Tread on Me' signs, carrying guns - is about race and among some of the tea partiers too I imagine. 

Like this guy.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, I don't really think so, Shelf. This shit is mostly about economics. If there are any race-haters, it's just fringe dudes trying to piggyback on the events the same way that commie party supported by North Korea does at Obama rallies and WTO protests.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

If Berkut is going to be prissy and ignore me he could have at least did it at the beginning of the thread and prevented the whole argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 21, 2010, 04:19:27 PM
This shit is mostly about economics.

I thought this was mostly about not paying taxes.  :huh:

Martinus

Incidentally, what I don't get is why so many of these teaparty types seem to look back to the past as some sort of tax eldorado? I mean, in 1960s, wasn't the highest tax bracket in its 80%s?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers