No, despite it being possible
4 (12.1%)
Not possible
14 (42.4%)
I own a share of Jaron.
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Zanza

So my employer offers to sell shares to the employees. The advantage of that is that you can do it with your gross salary, so you save taxes. Other than that, it is not really cheaper than just buying them normally. I wonder if it makes sense. The tax savings is nice of course. But investing in your own employer is about the worst thing you can do regarding having a diverse, risk-spreading portfolio, right?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Yes, it's not a good idea to buy your employer's shares without a subsidy of some sort.  That reminds me that I need to look into selling off some of my company's stocks that recently got vested.

MadImmortalMan

My company is not publicly traded. My wife participated in the ESPP at Microsoft for about seven years but no longer does. The last company I worked for that had such a plan was Compaq in the mid-90s. I sold all of my holdings before the HP merger and haven't bought shares of any employer since.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Monoriu

I don't, for obvious reasons  :P

But given the high taxes in Germany, I think that alone will make it a good idea. 

Razgovory

Not a share per say, but I do own a small piece of a former employer.  Half of a finger bone in fact.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

I used to at a former employer. Some I had before I joined them, some was given as employee benefits. Made a nice sum when the company was finally sold (long after I left them) since the shares had been given at a discount, but sold (or rather forced into liquidation) at market price plus a mark up.

V

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on April 20, 2010, 01:44:07 AM
I don't, for obvious reasons  :P

But given the high taxes in Germany, I think that alone will make it a good idea. 
I am not sure whether it lowers my gross salary just for taxes or also for social security payroll deductions.
If it is the latter, that would be really sweet as I would be able to buy a couple of shares at about half their price - otherwise I still get them at about 2/3 the price.
But if I calculate it correctly, it only makes sense for a small amount of shares as that gives me the highest amount of savings.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 02:07:48 AM
Not a share per say, but I do own a small piece of a former employer.  Half of a finger bone in fact.

In this case the commies are right- "ownership" is theft.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2010, 02:47:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 02:07:48 AM

In this case the commies are right- "ownership" is theft.

Well technically I don't own it.  Legally you can't own any person or piece of a person.  I just have it in my possession. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I would get some nice subsidy on them if I was living in the right country.  :mad:

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2010, 03:28:34 AM
I would get some nice subsidy on them if I was living in the right country.  :mad:
I live in the right country. :yeah: The employees in the foreign subsidiary where I am currently working don't get this offer either, only employees with a German contract.

I think I'll buy them. Getting them at 1/2 or 2/3 the price seems to be a no-brainer. I wonder if there is something I don't see.  :ph34r:

The downside is that I have to keep them until end of 2011 or otherwise the tax incentive is void and I have to pay that.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2010, 03:49:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2010, 03:28:34 AM
I live in the right country. :yeah: The employees in the foreign subsidiary where I am currently working don't get this offer either, only employees with a German contract.

I think I'll buy them. Getting them at 1/2 or 2/3 the price seems to be a no-brainer. I wonder if there is something I don't see.  :ph34r:

If you are sure that your company will continue to grow then yes its a good thing. I mean, say you can get the stock with 4-5% discount, even if the stock price stagnates you would be at, or ahead, of a savings account. :contract:

Caliga

This reminds me that I need to enroll in my company's stock purchase program.  Thanks for the thread.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points