No, despite it being possible
4 (12.1%)
Not possible
14 (42.4%)
I own a share of Jaron.
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Grey Fox

No, the incentive isn't big enough compare to the total stagnation of the share price.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Vince

Yes.  They give us shares every year as a bonus.  I sell most of them off pretty quickly though.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2010, 06:01:54 AM
No, the incentive isn't big enough compare to the total stagnation of the share price.
Yeah, the main reason I want to do it is that I can buy from the company and not pay brokerage fees on buying/selling, and I suspect our stock is due for a major jump in price soon. :shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 06:46:58 AM
Yeah, the main reason I want to do it is that I can buy from the company and not pay brokerage fees on buying/selling, and I suspect our stock is due for a major jump in price soon. :shifty:

Hello, insider.

Not the brightest move declaring that in an open forum, but I'll forgive you this time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I don't have any special knowledge of our corporate plans that one couldn't figure out from reading news releases about us.  I just happen to be in a position to put it all together.

Anyway, a) the company has trading blackout periods, and b) if I was steadily buying stock via purchase plan I don't see how anyone can hold that against me.

Syt

No, our multi-billion dollar corporation is non-public/private owned and they don't share. We get cash bonus instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The boss of my boss is the major shareholder. I am not a shareholder.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2010, 03:49:22 AM
I think I'll buy them. Getting them at 1/2 or 2/3 the price seems to be a no-brainer. I wonder if there is something I don't see.  :ph34r:

The downside is that I have to keep them until end of 2011 or otherwise the tax incentive is void and I have to pay that.

You're right.  It is a no-brainer.  You're doubling (or increasing by 50%) your money as soon as you purchase the stock.  The end of 2011 is not that far in the future.

The only trick is to remember to sell a number (though not all) of your stock once the lock-out ends, or else you do in fact run the serious risk of not diversifying.

And you could say I won a share of my employer, but then again so does every Canadian citizen. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

On a related note: Accenture is at a 52 week high.  My sell trigger kicks in once it hits $44.  At that point: $$$ for Cal  :cool:

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 06:46:58 AM

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

:P

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 01:29:34 PM
On a related note: Accenture is at a 52 week high.  My sell trigger kicks in once it hits $44.  At that point: $$$ for Cal  :cool:

Eww...Accenture was always doing on campus recruiting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Auditors amuse me.  They're often kids right out of college who seem to know next to nothing.  They usually show up with a senior dude who tries to help them do the initial legwork, but then the senior guy goes away and makes the noobs do all the real work.  I never felt like I needed to trick an external auditor, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Admiral Yi

I do not.  The place I work has a pretty crummy plan.  You deduct after-tax money from every pay check, then you use that at the end of the year to buy stock at the current price minus a 20% discount.  So you're floating the company in effect a six month loan.  Plus any fraction of share's worth of money left over is rolled over to the next year.  Plus it's in the form of an ADR, so you're paying a 1% management fee off the top as long as you own it.

Sheilbh

No.  We're owned by a number of multi-nationals who don't share (except with each other) :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2010, 05:37:57 PM
I do not.  The place I work has a pretty crummy plan.  You deduct after-tax money from every pay check, then you use that at the end of the year to buy stock at the current price minus a 20% discount.  So you're floating the company in effect a six month loan.  Plus any fraction of share's worth of money left over is rolled over to the next year.  Plus it's in the form of an ADR, so you're paying a 1% management fee off the top as long as you own it.
For some reason I didn't think you were employed. :huh: