News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kids these days

Started by Monoriu, April 16, 2010, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Colleague of mine has been taking lots of half day offs recently, all in the morning.  So we asked him about it.  He said he needed to accompany his son to his exam venue until he settled down. 

His son is 17 years old.  I am not really sure how a father can help his son to "settle down" in an exam venue.  The father has to leave as soon as the exam starts, and I doubt he can enter the actual venue anyway.  He can get to the door at most. 

And recently, I've seen newspaper reports about parents "accompanying" their university graduate children to...job interviews.  Gosh.  I hope they at least have the sense not to let the interviewers know this. 

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2010, 11:52:15 AM
Colleague of mine has been taking lots of half day offs recently, all in the morning.  So we asked him about it.  He said he needed to accompany his son to his exam venue until he settled down. 

His son is 17 years old.  I am not really sure how a father can help his son to "settle down" in an exam venue.  The father has to leave as soon as the exam starts, and I doubt he can enter the actual venue anyway.  He can get to the door at most. 

And recently, I've seen newspaper reports about parents "accompanying" their university graduate children to...job interviews.  Gosh.  I hope they at least have the sense not to let the interviewers know this.

It's called helicopter parenting.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Report him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I've actually never seen this happen, but if I ever did the person would never get hired by me under any circumstance, regardless of qualifications.... unless maybe the kid's parent also happened to be the CEO or something :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

I am not really sure how a father can help his son to "settle down" in an exam venue.  The father has to leave as soon as the exam starts, and I doubt he can enter the actual venue anyway.  He can get to the door at most. 

His first Gunny can take care of that issue in short order.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2010, 05:46:41 PM
I've actually never seen this happen, but if I ever did the person would never get hired by me under any circumstance, regardless of qualifications.... unless maybe the kid's parent also happened to be the CEO or something :ph34r:

What if he lived pretty far away and didn't yet have a car of his own?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2010, 07:05:05 AM
What if he lived pretty far away and didn't yet have a car of his own?
Mom can wait in the fucking lobby then.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

That doesn't sound like reliable transportation to me. I'd find another person with a car and able to do gopher work for me.

Palisadoes

Sounds like a load of crap to me. He's just trying to get out of work.

Josquius

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2010, 07:55:20 AM
That doesn't sound like reliable transportation to me. I'd find another person with a car and able to do gopher work for me.
Aren't such things organised when you know you're getting the job though?
I don't need a car as a unemployed slob living at home. If I got a job in a nearby place though I would get one (2 hours on the bus is fine for a interview but as a daily thing...no)
If the job was further afield I'd make plans to move there.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 17, 2010, 09:34:54 AM

Probably hung over

Monoriu

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 17, 2010, 09:34:54 AM

Nah, he works in a different department than mine.  He is more a friend than a colleague.  No need to lie to me. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2010, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2010, 07:55:20 AM
Aren't such things organised when you know you're getting the job though?
I don't need a car as a unemployed slob living at home. If I got a job in a nearby place though I would get one (2 hours on the bus is fine for a interview but as a daily thing...no)
If the job was further afield I'd make plans to move there.

If the job calls for having reliable transportation or a license, and somebody shows up for an interview on the vague promise that they are getting a car or license, I'm moving on to the next person. They wasted my time.

It isn't like there is a shortage of workers anymore.

Josquius

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2010, 11:37:48 AM

If the job calls for having reliable transportation or a license, and somebody shows up for an interview on the vague promise that they are getting a car or license, I'm moving on to the next person. They wasted my time.

It isn't like there is a shortage of workers anymore.
Obviously such a person wouldn't be applying for a job as a taxi driver.
For most jobs though such concerns are for after they know they've got a job somewhere.
██████
██████
██████