News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kids these days

Started by Monoriu, April 16, 2010, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Sucks if I wanted a person to start immediately.

Anyways, for more Helicopter parenting fun, http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1940395-4,00.html

the page 4 about Stealth Fighter parents is hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Maybe he doesn't trust his kid to actually take the test? If he brings him to the door and waits for him than he knows he took the test.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2010, 11:41:02 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2010, 11:37:48 AM

If the job calls for having reliable transportation or a license, and somebody shows up for an interview on the vague promise that they are getting a car or license, I'm moving on to the next person. They wasted my time.

It isn't like there is a shortage of workers anymore.
Obviously such a person wouldn't be applying for a job as a taxi driver.
For most jobs though such concerns are for after they know they've got a job somewhere.

Only the lowest dregs of humanity don't own their own car in America.

garbon

I used my mother as a stealth fighter parent.  Whenever a teacher tried to give me a bad grade and couldn't come up with more than a vague reason, I'm bring in the cavalry. :smarty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on April 17, 2010, 12:34:45 PM
Only the lowest dregs of humanity don't have a license in America.

Fixed. After all, those in urban areas often don't need them.

Secondly (to Jos), if you have a license, if living at home, one's parents should feel comfortable letting you borrow a car for a day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2010, 12:41:16 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 17, 2010, 12:34:45 PM
Only the lowest dregs of humanity don't have a license in America.

Fixed. After all, those in urban areas often don't need them.

Secondly (to Jos), if you have a license, if living at home, one's parents should feel comfortable letting you borrow a car for a day.
I don't think thats legal.
Not in the UK anyway.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

To drive your parents' car?

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2010, 12:56:08 PM
To drive your parents' car?
You need to be insured on a car to drive it I think.
Or IIRC having cover all insurance- which people without a car would be even more unlikely to have, especially kids.
You can't drive without insurance either way.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I am talking about HK.  We're a tiny place where public transport covers almost every cornor.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on April 17, 2010, 01:01:28 PM
I am talking about HK.  We're a tiny place where public transport covers almost every cornor.
Oh yeah, of course, in HK there's no excuse.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2010, 12:59:12 PM
You need to be insured on a car to drive it I think.
Or IIRC having cover all insurance- which people without a car would be even more unlikely to have, especially kids.
You can't drive without insurance either way.

Here I think you can have insurance on a car that covers non-immediate family. I can remember driving my aunt's car without my own insurance, but I remember that I couldn't drive my mother's car because as a dependent she'd need to be paying a premium for me.

Richard Hakluyt

It's the same here. You can get insurance that allows all sorts of people to drive your car, naturally it is more expensive than a more restrictive arrangement.

Camerus

Here in Mainland China I heard of a case last autumn about parents who were helping their kids cheat on exams using ear pieces.  According to the version I heard from my school, the parents were caught and sentenced to several years' jail time.