News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This will make Euro blood BOIL

Started by Caliga, April 14, 2010, 07:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2010, 08:34:24 AM
It merely makes us bemused. What we don't get is no-one says "I'm English-American". Ever.

Because it's redundant.  It's like saying "I'm Irish and I drink."
Yuman

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2010, 08:04:43 AM
You mean when Cal goes: LOL I am German so I hate all French people?
When I do that I am always joking.  I myself have French ancestry too.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 09:19:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2010, 08:04:43 AM
You mean when Cal goes: LOL I am German so I hate all French people?
When I do that I am always joking.  I myself have French ancestry too.  :)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 07:24:34 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2010, 07:22:43 AM
I don't get the thread title.
You monsters hate it when we're interested in geneaology.  :mad:

Because they all come from peasants.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

It merely makes us bemused. What we don't get is no-one says "I'm English-American". Ever.

I'm 100% sefaradi. Both my parents, all 4 grandparents, all 8 greatgrandparents, all 13 great-great-grandparents, and so on and so on.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

ulmont

Quote from: Siege on April 14, 2010, 10:41:23 AM
I'm 100% sefaradi. Both my parents, all 4 grandparents, all 8 greatgrandparents, all 13 great-great-grandparents, and so on and so on.

Most* of us have 16 great-great-grandparents, but thanks for the confirmation that your family tree doesn't fork.

*Not Cal.  I blame Kentucky.

Grey Fox

Prove it. I'm sure somewhere in there, there's Nazi or Chinese blood.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2010, 07:59:11 AM
It makes my blood BOIL that you ignored the sporcle quiz I linked for your benefit.  :mad:  :P
:huh:

MadImmortalMan

Wait. Your surname is the shortened version of the name? I know what your name is, but I can't figure out what the longer version would be.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Agelastus

This explains many things.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2010, 12:32:51 PM
Wait. Your surname is the shortened version of the name? I know what your name is, but I can't figure out what the longer version would be.
Nope, other way around.  The Lettuce-wannabe branch of the family dropped the first syllable.

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2010, 10:43:38 AM

Most* of us have 16 great-great-grandparents, but thanks for the confirmation that your family tree doesn't fork.

*Not Cal.  I blame Kentucky.

:XD:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Guilty as charged.  My dad's parents were first cousins, which means (I think) that I have four less great-great-grandparents than most people.  :blush:

Of course, that sort of thing didn't used to be all that uncommon, especially in rural communities like they came from.

The Brain

America. Ha. We Swedes were designing nuclear weapons when the Americans were naked savages.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 02:07:51 PMOf course, that sort of thing didn't used to be all that uncommon, especially in rural communities like they came from.

Still happens.  The parents of my high school class salutatorian were first cousins.