And we're back!

Main Menu

This will make Euro blood BOIL

Started by Caliga, April 14, 2010, 07:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2010, 10:43:38 AM
Quote from: Siege on April 14, 2010, 10:41:23 AM
I'm 100% sefaradi. Both my parents, all 4 grandparents, all 8 greatgrandparents, all 13 great-great-grandparents, and so on and so on.

Most* of us have 16 great-great-grandparents, but thanks for the confirmation that your family tree doesn't fork.

Could just be really poor math skills on Siegy's part.

The really bad part would be if some of the great-great-grandparents also count as some of the great-grandparents.

If you have trouble figuring that one out, watch the end of Chinatown.

Josquius

Siege's is doubly funny due to the odd number...Half siblings married each other?
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 07:24:34 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2010, 07:22:43 AM
I don't get the thread title.
You monsters hate it when we're interested in geneaology.  :mad:
that's because every europeans have Charlemagne or King Alfred in their ancestry, so by comparison some landowner somewhere seems trivial :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pedrito

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 07:11:11 AM
I can't remember if I'd mentioned this on Languish before, but the guy I got my surname from came to the US from Germany in 1740 with his brother.  We're not entirely sure, but it was either his brother or one of his sons who left Pennsylvania and moved to Virginia c. 1780 (I am not descended from either the brother or that particular son).  Shortly thereafter, he left Virginia for its western colony 'Transylvania', which later became the state of Kentucky.  This branch of the family shortened the surname, became thoroughly Southern, and ended up large landowners and slaveholders, whose sons fought for the Confederacy.  There are actually some black families around here that ended up with this surname. :ph34r:

Anyway, back when I was a staffing manager a guy worked for me who turned out to be a distant cousin descended from this family line, and he got me invited to their annual family reunion in Lexington (the family tends to live further south, in Madison County, Kentucky, but Lexington is more generally convenient to everyone).

When Cal meets his country cousins will: hilarity ensue? :smoke:
O GAWD HOW I HATE WHEN YOU HICKS PRETEND INTEREST IN GENEALOGY!

MY BLOOD IS BOILING, WORSE! IT'S BRAISING!!1

Are you satisfied now, Cal?  :hug:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

I don't believe I have any noble blood and wouldn't care if I did.  My interest in geneaology came out of my obsession with maps and history, as well as a desire to find distant relatives I can leech off when visiting countries, a la National Lampoon's European Vacation. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 14, 2010, 06:10:54 PM
Hey kids! Big Ben! Parliament!

There are no roundabouts in view of the Big Ben side of Parliament. I noticed that the first time I was there. National Lampoon lied to us.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2010, 08:34:24 AM
It merely makes us bemused. What we don't get is no-one says "I'm English-American". Ever.
I'm 1/4 English
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 06:53:34 PM
It merely makes us bemused. What we don't get is no-one says "I'm English-American". Ever.
I'm 1/4 English

Of course you are. And I'm 1/4 Byzantine.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2010, 06:32:34 PM
There are no roundabouts in view of the Big Ben side of Parliament. I noticed that the first time I was there. National Lampoon lied to us.  :P
:huh: You sure about that?  There's a roundabout somewhere nearby, I thought within view.  When I was in London my brother took me there (he was living there at the time) and said "this is the place where the National Lampoon scene was filmed".

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 06:53:34 PM
I'm 1/4 English

No, no, Tim.  You write English at 1/4th normal proficiency.  There's a difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2010, 07:41:32 PM
No, no, Tim.  You write English at 1/4th normal proficiency.  There's a difference.
:lmfao:

Caliga

MiM/Londoners, if it helps, right after he took me to that roundabout we had dinner at this place:

Imperial Tandoori
48 Kennington Road
Lambeth
London
SE1 7BL

:mmm:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?