News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Atheists can be morons too - probably.

Started by Agelastus, April 11, 2010, 07:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2010, 11:03:18 AM
I am confused what it is about saying the Pope should be held responsible for covering up kiddie rape that makes someone a moron.

Bandwaggoner. :)

And besides, if any of the three of them (including the lawyer) think that this has even 1 chance in million of standing up in a court of law, they are morons. After all, none of this board's lawyers have come up with anything that would back their contention that the Pope is not a Head of State, despite my request in the original post, have they?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2010, 10:45:56 AM
I guess I am confused what is it about being an atheist that makes you not a moron?  I mean look at Communists, they are atheists and morons.

Strident atheists often give the impression that they consider those with faith moronic. I tend towards agnosticism, so I find the extremes of both sides quite wearing.

Besides, I'm crap at thread titles. :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Berkut

Quote from: Agelastus on April 12, 2010, 11:16:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2010, 11:03:18 AM
I am confused what it is about saying the Pope should be held responsible for covering up kiddie rape that makes someone a moron.

And besides, if any of the three of them (including the lawyer) think that this has even 1 chance in million of standing up in a court of law, they are morons. After all, none of this board's lawyers have come up with anything that would back their contention that the Pope is not a Head of State, despite my request in the original post, have they?

I think we've already established that there isn't any chance of this going to court. That clearly is not the point.

Although I would contend that if you use the criteria of "I requested something, and nobody answered me, so I will assume whatever is convenient" to decide what is or is not a valid contention, YOU are the moron. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Agelastus on April 12, 2010, 11:18:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2010, 10:45:56 AM
I guess I am confused what is it about being an atheist that makes you not a moron?  I mean look at Communists, they are atheists and morons.

Strident atheists often give the impression that they consider those with faith moronic. I tend towards agnosticism, so I find the extremes of both sides quite wearing.

Besides, I'm crap at thread titles. :Embarrass:

Agnostics are so cute.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

They make up for the lack of cuteness, or any other redeeming feature of atheists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2010, 11:48:37 AM
They make up for the lack of cuteness, or any other redeeming feature of atheists.

You don't even realize how contradictory that statement is, do you?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2010, 11:52:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2010, 11:48:37 AM

You don't even realize how contradictory that statement is, do you?

Apparently not.  But I imagine you're going to tell me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2010, 11:45:38 AM
I think we've already established that there isn't any chance of this going to court. That clearly is not the point.

Although I would contend that if you use the criteria of "I requested something, and nobody answered me, so I will assume whatever is convenient" to decide what is or is not a valid contention, YOU are the moron. :P
Given that Britain recognized the Holy See and its Head of Government, the Pope, in 1982, I dare say you are correct (and that Agelastus could actually have looked this up with a little effort, rather than merely assuming that the board's lawyers were his to command), I think you are correct that this has no chance to go to court.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Then it has no point at all, since if they know it has no chance then they are just doing it for the publicity. Since one can hardly argue that the long-running problem of children being abused by Catholic priests has not already received worldwide coverage, wasting their effort on this non-starter of a case is moronic.

Saying I am assuming "whatever is convenient" is something of a misrepresentation given that I stated what I had assumed from my own knowledge in the opening post. Nor have you disagreed with what I assumed, have you?

I was wondering if one of the lawyers could come up with something that explained why a lawyer was even considering making this futile claim. But none of the known Languish lawyers have posted yet. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

The Brain

Arresting a Nazi pedophile doesn't seem that far-fetched.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

According to the press reports, Dawkins argument (on which he has obtained advice from a solicitor and a barrister) is that since the VC is not a member of the UN there is no such immunity. Whether that's correct or not I have no idea.

What I don't really get is what criminal law the Pope is supposed to have broken, however morally reprehnsible his actions have been. Aiding and abetting child abuse in another country perhaps?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 07:49:34 PM
The last few days has made me think that someone has declared all of April to be "April Fool's Day" without telling me. I know the Vatican City only has observer status at the UN but given the number of countries it has diplomatic relations with I cannot comprehend how anybody would think this is worth wasting any time on.

Maybe one of the lawyers here can tell me what I am missing.

What you are missing is that under Article 27 of the Rome Statute, status as head or government or state neither immunizes a person from prosecution by the ICC nor does it prevent the exercise of ICC jurisdiction in signatory states (which include the UK).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on April 12, 2010, 12:23:45 PM

According to the press reports, Dawkins argument (on which he has obtained advice from a solicitor and a barrister) is that since the VC is not a member of the UN there is no such immunity. Whether that's correct or not I have no idea.

What I don't really get is what criminal law the Pope is supposed to have broken, however morally reprehnsible his actions have been. Aiding and abetting child abuse in another country perhaps?

You don't have to have broken any real law to get shat on by the UK. See: libel tourism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 12, 2010, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 07:49:34 PM
The last few days has made me think that someone has declared all of April to be "April Fool's Day" without telling me. I know the Vatican City only has observer status at the UN but given the number of countries it has diplomatic relations with I cannot comprehend how anybody would think this is worth wasting any time on.

Maybe one of the lawyers here can tell me what I am missing.

What you are missing is that under Article 27 of the Rome Statute, status as head or government or state neither immunizes a person from prosecution by the ICC nor does it prevent the exercise of ICC jurisdiction in signatory states (which include the UK).

According to Article 11 however, the ICC only has jurisdiction for offenses committed after the coming into effect of the Rome Statute.  Not to mention that the ICC only has jurisdiction over genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes (as per Article 5).

Which brings us back to 'regular' criminal law.  I think (and I'm no expert) that the UN is a red herring, and what matters is whether or not the individual country recognizes the Vatican as an independent state, or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on April 12, 2010, 12:23:45 PM

QuoteArticle 7.  Crimes Against Humanity.  1.  For the purpose of this Statute, "crime against humanity" means any of the following acts when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack:  . . .   (g)     Rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity;
. . . .
2.        For the purpose of paragraph 1:
(a)     "Attack directed against any civilian population" means a course of conduct involving the multiple commission of acts referred to in paragraph 1 against any civilian population, pursuant to or in furtherance of a State or organizational policy to commit such attack . . .

It won't be too hard to prove "a course of conduct involving the multiple comission of" rape "or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity" against a "civilian population."

It would be a lot tougher to prove that the course of conduct was pursuant to a policy  of the Holy See to commit such attacks.  Most likely, the worst that could be shown would be a policy of organizational indifference and aiding and abetting perpetrators after the fact.  That is probably  insufficient to establish the required element of a policy to commit the attacks, which presumably requires a more active role in facilitating and planning the commission of the offenses.

But this is still a new and evolving area of the law, so who really knows what standards could or might be applied?  A very long shot but perhaps not impossible, depending on what the evidence might show.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson