News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Romeo and Juliet get Twitter makeover

Started by garbon, April 12, 2010, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100412/wl_uk_afp/entertainmentbritainliteratureartshakespeare_20100412140224

QuoteThe Royal Shakespeare Company gave Romeo and Juliet an interactive modern makeover on Monday with the Bard's classic lines replaced by Twitter messages such as "Jules is over and out!!!".

A cast of six RSC actors are improvising a story, loosely based on Shakespeare's classic romance, in real time over the next five weeks on the micro-blogging site.

Using postings limited to 140 characters or less, the actors have been asked to respond to each other, to the Twitter "audience" and to real events as they happen around the world.

The actors' 'dialogue' will be relayed to computers from their mobile phones.

Juliet, played by 19-year-old RSC actress Charlotte Wakefield, is a teenager who has never had a boyfriend, but finds solace by chatting incessantly on the Internet.

For the purposes of the story, her mother, Susan Capulet, 34, was killed in a car crash a decade ago.

In one early tweet Juliet linked a YouTube video she had made of her room, pausing on the framed photo of her dead mother.

On her way to school she tweeted, complete with grammatical errors: "Ok now dads beeping at me from the car!! Gotta dash!! Wish I could tweet at school but... I can't :( I promise I'll be back on after school.

"Jules is over and out!! Xxx"

A typical tweet from Juliet's brother Tybalt, who risks being expelled from school because of bad behaviour, was: "Gonna be late for class coz i've gotta have breakfast. Couldn't give a crap!"

The actors have been asked to improvise around a prepared story "grid" set in modern Britain, rather than the Verona of the original, to ensure events happen at a certain time.

They are writing the tweets themselves, taking inspiration from their character backgrounds and a detailed diary that has been given to them.

The project, named "Such Tweet Sorrow" in a play on the words "parting is such sweet sorrow" from Romeo and Juliet, is a co-production with a company that produces entertainment on mobile phones, TV and the Internet.

RSC artistic director Michael Boyd said the world-renowned theatre company's aim was always "to bring actors and audiences closer together".

"We look forward to seeing how people engage with this new way of playing," he said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Sophie Scholl

That's awful. :yucky:  You want a good modern take?  Look at Baz Luhrman's flick.  This?  This is crap.  Juliet's mother dead?  Tybalt Juliet's brother?  It's like some 7th grader's English project who only skimmed the Cliff's Notes.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote"We look forward to seeing how people engage with this new way of playing," he said.

Hopefully at close quarters with fixed bayonets.

Josquius

Twitter. :bleeding:
Why do they need to waste actors on this crap too?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Now is the twitter of our discontent...

Bah I'm spent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Lets invite her to languish

QuoteJuliet, played by 19-year-old RSC actress Charlotte Wakefield, is a teenager who has never had a boyfriend, but finds solace by chatting incessantly on the Internet.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2010, 05:49:31 AM
Lets invite her to languish

QuoteJuliet is a teenager who has never had a boyfriend, but finds solace by chatting incessantly on the Internet.

I think the sentence goes like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.