News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greece bailed out

Started by jimmy olsen, April 11, 2010, 07:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

So France is really the one with the big Greek exposure. :hmm:

That number for Ireland can't possibly be 100% sovereign debt, can it?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2010, 05:57:14 PM
So France is really the one with the big Greek exposure. :hmm:

That number for Ireland can't possibly be 100% sovereign debt, can it?
I think a lot of it's from one of the nationalised banks and Central Bank/FSA spending during the crisis.  I believe Irish external debt as a whole is worth over 800% of GDP.

I also heard that their budgets in 2009 cut spending and raised taxes by a sum around about 5% of GDP, despite this the deficit increased because the economy shrank quicker than the deficit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I'm also rather stunned by that Irish debt figure  :huh:

It would be like the UK having a debt of $9tn.........and we are worried by one of "merely" a trillion or so  :hmm:

Agelastus

Given only half of Greek's national debt is listed, and Ireland's debt is listed as being approximately five times its actual level of national debt, I am at a loss as to what this chart actually shows. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

If Ireland collapses, they can always go back to terror.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on April 23, 2010, 07:08:50 PM
Given only half of Greek's national debt is listed, and Ireland's debt is listed as being approximately five times its actual level of national debt, I am at a loss as to what this chart actually shows. :hmm:
I think government debt plus debt they're effectively guaranteeing in nationalised banks.  The Irish nationalised Anglo-Irish and effectively Allied Irish and the Bank of Ireland didn't they? 
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: jamesww on April 23, 2010, 07:22:54 PM
I think the graph might have originated from some recent BIS guestimate where they included "contingent liabilities and pension debts", so yes largely made up figures.
So is the solid colour real debt and then the sort of shaded colour the guesswork?
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

As it stands the figure is simply insane; Greece is a veritable Mono compared to the profligacy of Ireland  :lol:

However, some of the debts might be more theoretical than real. The UK government recently went into profit on it's bailout of RBS. Presumably those Irish banks do actually have some assets  :huh: ?

garbon

Quote from: jamesww on April 23, 2010, 07:25:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 23, 2010, 07:09:37 PM
1. If Ireland collapses,
3.  they can always go back to terror.

You missed out a stage:

2. - go work in construction in the USA.

I'm content with more Irish men coming to America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: jamesww on April 23, 2010, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2010, 07:28:37 PM
I think the graph might have originated from some recent BIS guestimate where they included "contingent liabilities and pension debts", so yes largely made up figures.
So is the solid colour real debt and then the sort of shaded colour the guesswork?

No idea, because whoever posted it didn't include a link, your guess as good as...

Though well spotted on the different shadings, could be anything, why is all of the Irish debt the UK hold lightly shaded and germany holds only solid green ?  :hmm:

The chart is from the Wall Street Journal (right click over the image for properties, and then copy and paste the URL.) However, I have not yet been able to locate the article it is attached to. I have the feeling I am missing something obvious. :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

citizen k

Quote from: Agelastus on April 23, 2010, 07:53:16 PM
Quote from: jamesww on April 23, 2010, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2010, 07:28:37 PM

No idea, because whoever posted it didn't include a link, your guess as good as...

Though well spotted on the different shadings, could be anything, why is all of the Irish debt the UK hold lightly shaded and germany holds only solid green ?  :hmm:

The chart is from the Wall Street Journal (right click over the image for properties, and then copy and paste the URL.) However, I have not yet been able to locate the article it is attached to. I have the feeling I am missing something obvious. :Embarrass:

;)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703798904575069712153415820.html

Agelastus

Quote from: citizen k on April 23, 2010, 11:55:55 PM
;)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703798904575069712153415820.html

Thanks.

As I suspected, the chart includes private as well as public debt, which would explain the massive British exposure to Ireland.

QuoteThe data include government bonds, corporate debt and loans to individuals.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Iormlund

Can you explain why in a way someone who only took Economics 101 (in another language!) can understand? :unsure:

alfred russel

That can't be right--the aggregate exposure for individual countries (France, Germany, etc.) equals the aggregate debt listed for the PIIGS.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on April 24, 2010, 07:04:34 AM

Can you explain why in a way someone who only took Economics 101 (in another language!) can understand? :unsure:

I don't think it applies to this chart, but governments typically account for pensions differently than private companies (there are different accounting rules), and so sometimes people will apply the private company rules (or some other standard they prefer) to government bodies which greatly increases their debt.

Contingent liabilities are liabilities that depend on future uncertain events. For example, if I am being sued for $1 million and my lawyer thinks it is 50/50 I will win, I'll recognize a contingent liability of $500k.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014