Should citizens with a permanent residence in a different country vote?

Started by Martinus, April 09, 2010, 01:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 11, 2010, 07:36:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 09, 2010, 03:34:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 01:42:54 AM
Do you think people with your country's nationality/citizenship, who have a permanent place of residence in a different country, be allowed to vote in national elections in your country?
No. Only citizens that are considered residents (maybe the same criteria as residency for tax purposes?) should be allowed to vote.

Only a german could say something like this.

A German who lives in China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

clandestino

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 11, 2010, 01:07:31 PM
I'll even say that living abroad gives you an hindsight that most local voters sorely lack.

Yes, I'm sure there is some truth in that. But since most measures and laws will apply to those living in the country and not abroad, I'm not so sure about the utility of that hindsight. ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: clandestino on April 11, 2010, 03:48:27 PM
I'll even say that living abroad gives you an hindsight that most local voters sorely lack.

Yes, I'm sure there is some truth in that. But since most measures and laws will apply to those living in the country and not abroad, I'm not so sure about the utility of that hindsight. ;)

There is.  A person who lives in modern day Russia might be genuinely confused why politicians in the home country say such mean things about Putin.  All the the local sources indicate he's a glorious leader destroying illness and poverty and bringing honor and prosperity to the Russian people and the rest of the world.  Well, when he's not tramping half-naked around Siberia subduing tigers with his bare hands.

Anyway, I'm sure living abroad gives important insight into where or not the county should raise the sales tax one cent to fund the new school gymnasium. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zanza

Quote from: Siege on April 11, 2010, 07:36:30 AMOnly a german could say something like this.
This thread shows that it is not just Germans that say such a thing but also Poles and Spanish.

Anyway, I guess you refer to the Germans that had to flee from Hitler. All of them are welcome to come back and vote here. But if they started a new life elsewhere, I don't see why they should continue to vote in Germany.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: clandestino on April 11, 2010, 03:48:27 PM

That's not that simple. So many counter-examples... Those living abroad generally have relatives in their homeland ;) Not to mention that when you're living in Europe it's not that far (2 hours by plane) for instance.

I had to register for the draft even though I couldn't vote for the President till the second mandate of Sampaio so colour me skeptical on your argument. Not to mention the people abroad NOW who fought the colonial wars...

Even regionalisation and TGV lines/other public works (hello A4 to Bragança via Marão tunnel) are of interest and relevance to me.

I still cannot vote for referenda so I still get to enjoy your less than stellar reputation  thanks to you (abortion not so long ago) ;) without having anything to do with it...

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

I'd like the opinion of clandestino and others on this one following this debate.

Should the plane fare expenses of a MP elected for Lisbon and currently living in Paris (probably not as a concierge...) be paid by the tax payer?
Inês de Medeiros, PS, a party opposed to the vote of citizens living abroad...

2500 euros per month since it's weekly.
I'd say she deserves making the weekly trip with Eurolines i.e by coach  ;)

clandestino

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 30, 2010, 02:45:52 PM
I'd like the opinion of clandestino and others on this one following this debate.

Should the plane fare expenses of a MP elected for Lisbon and currently living in Paris (probably not as a concierge...) be paid by the tax payer?
Inês de Medeiros, PS, a party opposed to the vote of citizens living abroad...

2500 euros per month since it's weekly.
I'd say she deserves making the weekly trip with Eurolines i.e by coach  ;)

Well I've followed the debates about that without much interest. People were making the usual remarks about them and their outrageous rights.

What I find odd is that PS needed to fetch someone in Paris to fill their Lisboa lists. Especially a political no one as Inês de Medeiros. All the time the issue was going around all I could think was what keeps Socrates from forcing her to abdicate? What can he gain with this? I've never eard Ms. Medeiros having a poltical opinion or making a speech at the parliament.

It seems the solution (that doesn't make a precedent acording to the Parliament President) is to treat it like a MP that lives on the islands, and with the same monetary support as them.

Personally I'm with you on this, let her take the bus if she can't pass a weekend without going back to Paris.

People were already talking about what would happen next: someone declaring their residence in French Polynesia and forcing the parliament to pay their traveling expenses each week.

Wich wouldn't surprise me that much... :P :(

jimmy olsen

By the way, apparently the US Congress thinks so, since in the recent Puerto Rico political status referendum that just got passed, stateside residents who were born in Puerto Rico will be able to vote. This was obviously done so that folks like my Dad who have been here 40 years and probably speaks better English than Spanish now will cause Statehood to win by a landslide. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point