Other Times/Places Alive You'd Like to Have Been Alive

Started by Queequeg, April 08, 2010, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 05:04:38 PM
The problem with any of these is it's easy to forget that the vast majority of people at such times were desparately poor.

For me I'd like to say some time during Victorian England (but even then to probably be an explorer / colonist, rather than in downtown London), but most people in the 19th century had a pretty rough life.

Mostly this. I would love to live in Victorian England but only as middle class or above. No way I would want to experience the average life of an industry worker of that time.
But if we are daydraming, an english trader owning ships in the second half of the 19th century is what I would like to be.

Monoriu

I want to be born after humanity has achieved immortality.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

You do realize that if you were immortal, you would be never able to retire, right? :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 01:58:05 AM

You do realize that if you were immortal, you would be never able to retire, right? :P

Unless he no longer had need of material possessions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 08, 2010, 11:27:19 PM
For me The 1920's in NYC, LA, Berlin, Paris, London, various places living in cheap flats, posh hotels fraternizing with the bohemian elite. Flappers :wub:

Hey Buddha, I'll meet you over a round of absinthe at that shady place a couple of blocks away from the Moulin Rouge, bring over some friends! :cheers:

The Larch

Also, new options:

- Movie producer in Hollywood during the 30s-40s. For one of the Majors, having a hand in the making of the classics.

- Gentleman/Scientist in Britain during the XIXth century. I'd fancy to have some equation, unit or species named after me.  :lol:

- NY during the mid-late 70s, getting all new wave-ish and witnessing the emergence of punk.

- Madrid during the 80s.

Monoriu

Why not? 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2010, 04:51:43 PM
Sparta, a week or so post Thermopylae. 300 widows to be serviced.
Paraguay, a week after the end of the War of the Triple Alliance, nearly 90% of the men had been killed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2010, 03:13:55 AM
- Movie producer in Hollywood during the 30s-40s. For one of the Majors, having a hand in the making of the classics.

Just think of all that ass.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2010, 05:36:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2010, 03:13:55 AM

Just think of all that ass.

That could be a nice collateral benefit, yes.  :lol:

Solmyr

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 06:21:46 PM
Certainly agree that just as the Kievan Rus shouldn't be described as "Russian", it is equally inaccurate to refer to it as "Ukrainian".

To me, referring to Kievan Rus as "Russian" is in the same league as referring to pre-Roman tribes of Italy as "Italian". It's the same word, but clearly used in a different context, no need to get all pissy about it.

As for my pick, some high general/noble serving under Basil II. You get to massacre Bulgars AND Arabs, and get a shot at the throne after Basil dies.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2010, 03:17:09 AM
Why not?
Because it would be illegal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

The Victorian age was a wonderful time to be alive, provided that one was middle class or rich.  They were going to create a better world.  If one is a member of the working class, then the 40s and 50s would be a good time to be alive.  I feel bad for members of the working class these days.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.