Other Times/Places Alive You'd Like to Have Been Alive

Started by Queequeg, April 08, 2010, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Kleves on April 08, 2010, 06:00:39 PM
French Revolution/First Empire.
There are a lot better ways to die than being slaughtered by Guerrillas in Spain, or worse, Cossacks in the retreat from Moscow. 

EDIT: Though being stationed on the North-Eastern Persian border would kind of suck.  Brutal, cold, barren, and the natives are all insane drug addicted nomads who make drinking goblets out of skulls. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 06:01:20 PM

Trap - spotted.  Troll - averted.   :showoff:
:rolleyes:
Not my fault you guys are the Lettows of the East Slavic world. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 06:01:20 PM

Trap - spotted.  Troll - averted.   :showoff:
:rolleyes:
Not my fault you guys are the Lettows of the East Slavic world.

Sorry Spellus - you're no grumbler, and I'm no DGuller.  You won't troll me today.   :nelson:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

In all seriousness though, I don't like the usage of the term Ukrainian to describe anything other than self-described Ukrainians.  The Kievan Rus', for example, should most certainly not be described as Ukrainian.  Both Russia and Ukraine changed a lot from the time of the Conversion to the time the Russians liberated the East Slavs from Papist tyranny, but I think this was probably about equal on both sides.

Faeelin

Now. All lives are interesting, if you know how to live them.

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on April 08, 2010, 06:18:44 PM
Now. All lives are interesting, if you know how to live them.
I agree with this, actually.  The reason I put "other" in the title is that I find now very, very interesting. 

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 06:12:05 PM
In all seriousness though, I don't like the usage of the term Ukrainian to describe anything other than self-described Ukrainians.  The Kievan Rus', for example, should most certainly not be described as Ukrainian.  Both Russia and Ukraine changed a lot from the time of the Conversion to the time the Russians liberated the East Slavs from Papist tyranny, but I think this was probably about equal on both sides.

Certainly agree that just as the Kievan Rus shouldn't be described as "Russian", it is equally inaccurate to refer to it as "Ukrainian".

But that's true for a hell of a lot of nationalities.  National identity as a concept didn't start to exist until the 18th-19th centuries - which is when Ukrainian nation-hood as a concept also arose. 

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 06:07:23 PM
Sorry Spellus - you're no grumbler, and I'm no DGuller.  You won't troll me today.   :nelson:
<_<

Barrister

CountDeMoney

I think I'd look positively smashing in Europe during the Age of Reason.  Breeches, wigs, dueling pistols, parlor games, frottage.  Oh yeah.

BuddhaRhubarb

It's about time we had this thread on Languish whatever.0

We've had it on all the other iterations of Languish & KAPland.

For me The 1920's in NYC, LA, Berlin, Paris, London, various places living in cheap flats, posh hotels fraternizing with the bohemian elite. Flappers :wub:

Other eras I could only stand to be a tourist I think.
:p

Faeelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2010, 07:51:35 PM
I think I'd look positively smashing in Europe during the Age of Reason.  Breeches, wigs, dueling pistols, parlor games, frottage.  Oh yeah.

Wouldn't the smallpox scars cramp your style?

Queequeg

Zanza