News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Games For Gustav #1

Started by Josephus, April 07, 2010, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2010, 11:46:46 AM
I don't understand this thread. What an odd title. I am confused and this angers me.

You must be angry all the time. :console:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Yes.  Children are replaceable.  If he succeeds, he alleviates the starvation, and if he fails, he makes it less severe.  Also, as Syt mentioned, children are replaceable. :contract:
Experience bij!

Barrister

Children can be replaced, yes, but it is very time-consuming (take years to get another 10 year old), and very expensive.

Which is why I asked how many sons I have?  If I have only one son, he will carry on the family name, and it makes more sense for me to try and go out to steal the potatos.

If I have many sons, well, then, I already have spares, and will wish the 10 year old good luck in his theft.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

If your family is starving and trying to steal a potato maybe your family name doesn't need to be carried on.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josephus

for the first time ever, Jaron got the point and the rest of you guys missed it.

YOUR SON CAN NOT BE REPLACED cause you're going to die in a month or two. You're starving. It doesn't matter if you have one son or 50 sons. YOU WILL ALL DIE. Your son is offering a possible way to live for a while longer.

Jesus Christ. Wait till we get to games 2-13.

And yes, this game is taken from the coda to Yann Martel's latest novel.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 04:46:26 PM
for the first time ever, Jaron got the point and the rest of you guys missed it.

YOUR SON CAN NOT BE REPLACED cause you're going to die in a month or two. You're starving. It doesn't matter if you have one son or 50 sons. YOU WILL ALL DIE. Your son is offering a possible way to live for a while longer.

:rolleyes:

Look at my answer:

QuoteWhich is why I asked how many sons I have?  If I have only one son, he will carry on the family name, and it makes more sense for me to try and go out to steal the potatos.

If I have many sons, well, then, I already have spares, and will wish the 10 year old good luck in his theft.

The debate was whether my son goes out to steal potatos, or me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on April 07, 2010, 04:28:49 PM
If your family is starving and trying to steal a potato maybe your family name doesn't need to be carried on.

Zinger :D

Jaron

Jaron wins! ^_^

I guess BB got his law degree from Scipio U.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2010, 04:58:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 04:46:26 PM

:rolleyes:

Look at my answer:

QuoteWhich is why I asked how many sons I have?  If I have only one son, he will carry on the family name, and it makes more sense for me to try and go out to steal the potatos.

If I have many sons, well, then, I already have spares, and will wish the 10 year old good luck in his theft.

The debate was whether my son goes out to steal potatos, or me.

You missed the point - whether you risk your sons life or not, stealing some potatoes only postpones your death from starvation and does not resolve the problem in the long run. So the choice is irrelevant.

Admiral Yi

It is possible that some things are more important than survival.

Josquius

I still don't get it. Not enough data but it seems to let him do it is the answer; everyone will die anyway if he doesn't so who cares if he's killed.

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2010, 05:04:17 PM
You missed the point - whether you risk your sons life or not, stealing some potatoes only postpones your death from starvation and does not resolve the problem in the long run. So the choice is irrelevant.
Isn't that all we're doing every time we eat though?
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I launch a peasant's rebellion. Using my 18 CHA, I set the countryside aflame in revolt. KILL THE RICH. POTATOES FOR ALL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2010, 05:04:17 PM

True. But imagine that getting a couple potatoes a day through such a risky venture might keep you alive till the event, whatever it is, that is making you starve, be it natural or man-made, is over.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lucidor

Give a man a hot potato, and he'll be warm for an hour
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 10:47:02 AM
Let's play.

Game Number One

Your 10-year-old son is speaking to you.
He says he has found a way of obtaining
some potatoes to feed your starving family.
If he is caught, he will be killed.

Do you let him go?
How 'bout you be a fucking man and steal the potatoes yourself. Seriously, what the hells wrong with you?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point