And we're back!

Main Menu

Games For Gustav #1

Started by Josephus, April 07, 2010, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Let's play.

Game Number One

Your 10-year-old son is speaking to you.
He says he has found a way of obtaining
some potatoes to feed your starving family.
If he is caught, he will be killed.

Do you let him go?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lucidor

I predict you will find we are all bots.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 10:47:02 AM
Let's play.

Game Number One

Do you let him go?

How many sons do I have? :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

I would rather use my son to steal chickens and pigs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 10:47:02 AM
Let's play.

Game Number One

Do you let him go?

No. If he's dead anyways if he goes to get the taters it's more economical to kill and eat him instead.

Anyways, if there's one less mouth to feed the family has a better chance of survival. Children can be replaced.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2010, 11:34:21 AM
No. If he's dead anyways if he goes to get the taters it's more economical to kill and eat him instead.

Anyways, if there's one less mouth to feed the family has a better chance of survival. Children can be replaced.
He's not guaranteed to be caught though.  If he is caught, according to the scenario, he will be killed, but it doesn't say "He will be caught", just "If he is caught".

Of course I would want to know what the chances are that he will be caught before making this decision. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Also, raw potates aren't that great, do I have the means to cook them?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I don't understand this thread. What an odd title. I am confused and this angers me.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2010, 11:36:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2010, 11:34:21 AM

He's not guaranteed to be caught though.  If he is caught, according to the scenario, he will be killed, but it doesn't say "He will be caught", just "If he is caught".

Of course I would want to know what the chances are that he will be caught before making this decision. :hmm:

Oh, I miseed that. I only read that he'll be killed. I agree that there's too little info to give a meaningful answer. How starved is the family? Is this temporary? Would the situation be ok with one less mouth to feed? How big is the chance to be caught getting the taters? Would it be an option to go in his stead? Etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2010, 11:46:46 AM
I don't understand this thread. What an odd title.

Apparently it's the title of the epilogue of Yann "Beatrice and Virgil: A Novel by Yann Martel".
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

Cut out the middle man and cook and eat the son.

DisturbedPervert

No. A ten year old would have better luck being a street urchin pickpocket rather than trying to haul back enough potatoes to feed everyone.

Grey Fox

If he's going to die that means something is going to kill. If that thing is either 1) human or 2) animal. It might a better option to kill & eat the thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Like I'd believe that the 10-year old had actually figured out a way to do something that would work.   <_<