And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have a fancy job title?

Started by Zanza, April 06, 2010, 10:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2010, 11:43:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2010, 10:47:18 PM
My title is Senior Business Analyst.  Got bumped to that from Senior Actuarial Analyst after failing one too many exam.

In your company is a senior actuarial analyist an associate of the Society of Actuaries, or do they give that title out before you're an associate?
No, usually not, and in general promotions are not linked with your exam progress, but it helps.  The difference between "Actuarial" and "Business" is whether you're proceeding to the designation at an adequate pace.  My progress has stalled, so I lost the "Actuarial" in my title (but thankfully nothing else other than some pride).

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 12:15:53 AM
No, usually not, and in general promotions are not linked with your exam progress, but it helps.  The difference between "Actuarial" and "Business" is whether you're proceeding to the designation at an adequate pace.  My progress has stalled, so I lost the "Actuarial" in my title (but thankfully nothing else other than some pride).

Ah okay.  Cool.  How far along are you, if you don't mind me asking?  And what specialization?  Casualty?  My wife is presently battling her way through her exams, doing pensions, so this is actually interesting to me.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2010, 12:32:55 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 12:15:53 AM

Ah okay.  Cool.  How far along are you, if you don't mind me asking?  And what specialization?  Casualty?  My wife is presently battling her way through her exams, doing pensions, so this is actually interesting to me.
Yes, casualty, so I'm actually taking CAS exams, not SOA exams.  I passed exams 1-6, in fact almost blew by them, and then got really stalled just one short of associate.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

He's Italian so he can make that joke.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

A friend of mine who got a teaching gig at the local university used to joke that, when he got his office, he'd put a title holder with "Great Khan of the Teaching Hordes", or something like that, over his table.  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 12:47:47 AMYes, casualty, so I'm actually taking CAS exams, not SOA exams.  I passed exams 1-6, in fact almost blew by them, and then got really stalled just one short of associate.

Yikes.  You figure that's as far as you're going, or are you going to keep at it?

My wife is more just short of where you're at.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2010, 11:34:45 AM
Yikes.  You figure that's as far as you're going, or are you going to keep at it?

My wife is more just short of where you're at.
Yes, I'm definitely going to keep at it, lacking designation is very limiting to your career prospects down the line, although not so much at the point where I am.  Such a bad run certainly destroys your motivation, though, and it can become a vicious circle.

How's your wife progressing?  Smoothly or with setbacks?

Siege

My job title is kind of fancy: "Weapons Squad Leader".

It refers to the 4th squad in a line infantry platoon, the Weapons squad, which carries and dismounts the medium machine guns (M240B) assigned to the platoon. The light machine guns (SAW-Squad Automatic Weapons-M249) are assigned two per squad - one per fire team. The heavy machineguns, the M2 .50cal and Mk19 40mm automatic grenade launcher, are vehicle mounted and are never dismounted. There are a total of four heavies, 2 and 2, and they are assigned one per vehicle.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

That's not fancy.  And we know what a weapons squad is.  Hell your field manual is on the internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Looking through the thread, I think I have the coolest title. :cool:

Although Liep could make an argument for it...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

"Regional Vice president" or the more proper "Regional Manager"

However, the first is on my business cards. They want to use them interchangeably, I'll pick the most pretentious sounding one.

I wanted to call myself Magister Militum per Ohio.   :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Senior Software Engineer. Even I find it boring.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2010, 11:46:47 AM
That's not fancy.  And we know what a weapons squad is.  Hell your field manual is on the internet.

I hate you.

Erase that fucking shit from your signature. I never said that.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 12, 2010, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2010, 11:46:47 AM

I hate you.

Erase that fucking shit from your signature. I never said that.

But you did say that.  In fact, I put the date on there so it could be easily referenced.

Also take a look at this!  http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-21-11/c01.htm  It's even got a little picture of you.  Hope the Mahdi Army guys don't have internet access.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017